Thread: Mayfly cripple picture

Default Mayfly cripple picture

Here's a cool picture of a crippled mayfly I scooped up on the Yuba on Saturday.

Does anyone know what mayfly that is?
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Not quite sure Adam. It looks like the mayflies i saw up there a few weeks ago when we were with keith. A cream/tan mayfly about a size 12 or 14. If it is the same they are quite large mayflies.

Jason

This mayfly was not large, a #16 or 18. Real bright yellow and small. Ithink that it is a little too early for PMD isn't it. Most PMD's I'v seen are more of a creamy yellow with a hint of olive. Maybe the PMD's start out bright yellow after the emergence?

Anyway, the cripple was cool looking and I wanted to share it with you guys.

P.S. I tried to free it but the wings was pretty stuck in the shuck.

Adam Grace

Adam, I don't know what mayfly that is, but that is one heck of a picture. The clarity is amazing! You have close-ups DOWN -- I can't wait to see more bug pictures from you!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Based on the post from MSP today, I think that the mayfly in the pic is an early PMD.

It has been warm, maybe the weather is getting it going!

Adam Grace

DAMN...How do you do that!

Stevie, My little Pentax Optio 43WR has a cool macro setting which takes nice shots. I was also lucky enough to spot the cripple drifting down to me in the Yuba.

Adam Grace

Adam, didn't I see that fingerprint on a wanted poster? Nice photo BTW. I was checking some flytying websites and it's kinda funny that no 2 PMD's are the same. As Jason said the ones I saw Tues were large, a size 14 or a small tied 12 is just about the right size. But by the way the fish were going I think they would have hit your Bass Gurgler Getting back up there today report to follow. Wonder what this cloud cover will do? Ya don't know if ya don't go! Oh yea I already said that.
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Adam,
    Another possibility is the epeorus mayfly. They normally start in April, however, the warm sunny days could have encouraged an early one. The epeorus is a low elevation mayfly and I have seen them on the Yuba before. Just my 2 cents worth.
    Terry