Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: MARCH FLYSWAP, SIGN UP NOW!!!

I found a bunch of stuff on the Zoo Cougar. I'll do this one, looks like fun!
    Gregg Machel
    Webmaster & Fly Fishing Enthusiast

Ok guys, just a quick update on who has signed up already.

Gregg M(Gcmachel) --- Zoo cougar maybe

Patrick(PM) ---

Mike S. (Hairstacker) ---

David Lee (twisted: ) ---

Darian ---

Jeff(jgoding) --- Crawdad of some sort... so many to choose from...

So we're about half way there.... If you know any other tiers let em know now is the time to get in on the action!! Beginners are more than welcome!!

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Hey Jeff, put me down for tying an N2 sculpin. It's kind of like a cross between a matuka and a woolhead.
    Hope to see some of you guys on Friday.
    patrick

I would like to but I am going to be very busy this next month.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Still room for 6 tyers in the March swap - get in while you can , the last one was a blast !! David

SullyTM Guest

Default Fly Swap

OK...put me down for a Sully crawdad/crawfish pattern. It'll be ugly, but if the fish are stupi they'll eat it! Sorry Hairstacker, my deer hair heads are still a work in progress...PM your address and I'll send you one for a critique...Hey David, did Adam shave Friday night! Thank you. Thom

Thom - Adam looked WONDERFUL (he was VERY good company , we've never hung out before ...) :P !!
    It's Steelhead time here , get your Smolts and sinking lines together ! Lemmy know when you're coming up - David

Thom, regardless, I'm really glad you decided to participate in the March swap! Fish lOVE ugly flies, so that's good enough for me. By the way, I appreciate your implication that I'm even worthy to look at your deer hair heads but, really, I TRULY can't imagine them not being up to par. You should see some of the deer hair heads I've caught fish with. Come to think of it, maybe I should be sending YOU some flies to examine, ha. You've doubtless set a very high standard for yourself. Do you think you're having trouble with the stacking/spinning part or the trimming part? I do know it helps to use EXTREMELY sharp scissors for the trimming part. I use surgical scissors for this -- they're practically like razor blades. Well, I will PM my address to you if you like, as I'm always willing to help, although I don't know if I could tell anything without having watched you actually tie it. . . . but, on the other hand, it does sound like a good way to get a free fly in the mail. (Just kidding!!)
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

SullyTM Guest

Default March Swap Update

Jeff and to anyone who can help...I started on a crawdad pattern last night and I will be starting over...I'm using rabbit strips for the pincers and need some tying help(I don't have a digital camera so I can't post a picture.)...The strips are to be tied in front of the chain beads I am using for eyes and the hook(size 4, straight shank) will be turned over so the point is off the bottom. Should the rabbit strips be tied on the side of the hook, at the bend? I tied 2 last night, one on the sides and one on top and neither looked good. Maybe I'm being to critical. The motion I'm looking for is an "up in the air" posture when the fly is pulled and stopped under water which represents a defensive pose of a crawfish. Does this make sense? Any tips? Maybe I should be tying a sculpin??? I can figure this out, but you crawfish guys/gals probably can help. Thanks. Thom

Hi Thom,

I've never tied a crawdad or sculpin either, LOL. Well, I did tie up some zoo cougars like 5 years ago or so.....

Maybe try using copper wire as a support for the claws, it should help hold them up. I would tie in on the top of the hook (well, whatever side rides up so in your case, the bottom...) and then use some bulk in front of them to splay them out and up would probably be the best way to do it.

If you tie them in front of the eyes this would be harder, it's probably why you are having trouble if I am picturing it correctly in my mind. I would use a pair of stiff base pieces for an attachment and overwrap each claw up a little ways. It doesn't have to be too long of an attachment, just enuff to set the angle and splay the claws out.

Let me experiment a little tonight with this method and I'll get back to you.

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com