Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pontoon boats and trolling motors

You guys using the Minnkota short shaft, I think it is 30 inchs? Have been wondering if on the ColoradoXT the rack is enough to carry a small cooler, a small tent and a sleeping bag, or would it be too much weight along with mo 300 lb big butt. I live close to Blue Ribbon water and need to float it and that is the Pontoon I can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by kbbgood View Post
    You guys using the Minnkota short shaft, I think it is 30 inchs? Have been wondering if on the ColoradoXT the rack is enough to carry a small cooler, a small tent and a sleeping bag, or would it be too much weight along with mo 300 lb big butt. I live close to Blue Ribbon water and need to float it and that is the Pontoon I can afford.
    If you weigh 300lbs and you want to float rivers, you need a different pontoon since capacity of Colorado XT is only 400lbs. MinnKota motor plus a battery will be 80- 100lbs. Even without the motor and battery, you could easily have 150+lbs of gear for a multi-day trip. Day trips on stillwater with motor, battery and only fishing gear should be okay.

For multi day trips on rivers and the capacity you need, I would find a used 10ft Scadden Skykomish Sunrise (1,000lb capacity) or a used Watermaster Kodiak (750lb capacity). Remember the capacity figures are from the manufacturer-- I'd stay under 80% of their capacity figure for any Class II river. I am 6'2", 200lbs and use a Watermaster Kodiak for multi-day trips.

The Skykomish Sunrise has been around for awhile so fairly often you can find one for sale around $500- $600 which is less than the price of a new Colorado XT... but 2-3 times the boat. (you could post here saying you are looking to buy one). To get it to/from the water easily, you should get the detachable wheel or you can build a dolly.

If you find a used Watermaster Kodiak for $1,000 or less, grab it immediately.

Better to be safe than sorry.

Jim
    Last edited by JayDubP; 07-13-2019 at 04:38 PM.

I weight 250 and have used a minn kota 30 thrust regular shaft trolling motor and a 27 series deep cycle battery with no problems,been doing it for years. Pontoon is a creek company 8 footer. I use this on lakes and rivers with little current. My transom mount is custom with the motor on my left shoulder and the battery on the other side. That way I can steer the boat easy. Set the pontoons a bit forward so the boat sits level . This is an old video of us tossing lures at Oneill Forebay. It will give you an idea anyway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR6NJQrlYDg