Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pontoon boats and trolling motors

Default Pontoon boats and trolling motors

I currently have an Outcast PAC 800 and plan on adding a trolling motor. Does anyone have experience with this? Any thoughts on motors or recommendations would be welcomed. It would seem that steering with the motor would be difficult given it would be mounted right behind me. Is the trolling motor worth the expense?

Default motors on pontoon boats

My Son-in-law and I have been talking about Honda 2 horse motors and a thought came up. If you put a motor on a pontoon does it need to be licensed? What about a canoe? Someone told me that a boat over 8 feet with a motor has to be licensed. That would be a ridiculas pain in the ___!

Mike - roadking

Yes, Any boat with a motor has to be licensed.

It is not a big deal.

Eugene just licensed my 15' Coleman Canoe because we are running a Minn Kota 12 volt, 55# thrust tiller electric motor on it, which works very well by the way.

The top tank 2 hp Honda 4 stroke outboard is a good idea because the outboard weighs (27#)........ less than a large 12 volt deep cycle battery.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I have not run a motor on a pontoon boat, but I am currently using a MinnKota 55lb Electric on a canoe. It does make it a lot easier to handle while fishing, and runs very quick getting from spot to spot. I always make sure to put the battery towards the front of the Canoe, and a little off to the reverse side of where the motor is. This will help keep your canoe balanced better.

California DMV requires any motorized boat to be registered regardless of size http://www.dmv.ca.gov/boatsinfo/boatreg.htm

If your canoe does not have a square back "flat back", they you will need to get a motor mount. I ended up buying mine from Wolf's Marine Ebay Store http://stores.ebay.com/Wolfs-Marine_...eNameZl2QQtZkm for $30 plus shipping. It mounts to the gunnels and securly holds the motor. Below is a photo of my mount on the canoe.

Feel free to email me if you have any more questions regarding Canoes and Motor Mounts. eugene@kiene.com

When mounting a motor on a canoe, you should always put it on the opposite side of your casting hand, so you can handle your rod and the boat at the same time. Don't get to overboard though. Last time I was moving the boat, talking on a cell phone, and casting at the same time. Then I missed a strike. STAY OFF THE PHONE!!!

If you want to put a trolling motor on your pontoon boat make sure you buy an extra long shaft. This will enable you to reach above your head to manuever. I have seen this method used and it looks quite easy to handle.

Default Re: Pontoon boats and trolling motors

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas
    ...It would seem that steering with the motor would be difficult given it would be mounted right behind me...
    I use one on my 9ft. Colorado pontoon.

You are right, it is hard to reach, but the biggest drawback is the weight of the battery which sits right behind the seat. I am trying to figure out some way to carry the battery at a more forward position to better balance the boat.

With the motor, the boat needs to be registered. I have my numbers and tags on plastic "license plates" that I hang from the frame.

I use a wheel chair battery which is about half the size of a regular one and weighs about half the weight - 25 lbs? It's a sealed battery so can tip over without dripping acid. It probably only has half the run time but I haven't run out of battery yet. The problem is those batts are expensive.
    For steering, I made a kind of U-shaped contraption out of PVC pipe with a "loose handle" like a sail boat tiller. I screwed the motor side shaft into a 3 way connector, which I sliced down the middle and attached with radiator hose clamps to the shaft of the motor about waist high. Post here if you need more info.
    Ross Boehm

I have wondered if a lawnmore battery would work long enough all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hintlian View Post
    I use one on my 9ft. Colorado pontoon.

You are right, it is hard to reach, but the biggest drawback is the weight of the battery which sits right behind the seat. I am trying to figure out some way to carry the battery at a more forward position to better balance the boat.

With the motor, the boat needs to be registered. I have my numbers and tags on plastic "license plates" that I hang from the frame.

I had a U boat pontoon with a Minnkota electric mounted at the rear. Bought it used and it came with a 24" extension that screwed over the factory control arm. I could reach it easily to my left and it was out of the way. I have seen several similar extensions at Cabela's.

Jim
    Last edited by JayDubP; 07-15-2019 at 12:48 PM.