Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does it count?

SullyTM Guest

Default Does it count?

To all who have been successful...If a steelhead rookie battles a juvenile steelie for 5+ minutes and is cupping his hand under its belly(left the net at home) BUT, there is just enough slack in the line for the steelie to use when it gives that last burst of torque and breaks off...does it count? If not, well, that's why they call it fishing...not catching! Thom

Default Involuntary Release

Hey Thom,..... It sounds like an involuntary release to me.... :P :P Seems to me that if you're fortunate enough to be out there and get a strike (FISH ONNNNN ), it counts if you want it to.....

Besides, if you're not fishin' with anyone else, who's gonna know :P :P (Can't make up the striked, tho :P )

SullyTM Guest

Default Does it count?

Darian...Kind of like if a tree falls in the forest does it make a crashing noise...Well, I won't count it as landed until I'm smilin' for the camera. But, it was a rush! The young buck was caught at a local creek using a black leech/wormtailred eye pattern I tied, 6 wt. rod with a sinking line...There aren't that many steelhead in this body of water, but it's a good sign that they are visiting. Even more encouraging is the other aquatic wildlife showing up...turtles, frogs, muskrats, blue herons etc..

Default hook and release

Well if you are not going to keep a fish, then IMO once you are in control of the fish near the bank then it counts. At that point I usually give them some slack and hope they throw the hook. And of course it is much better for the fish if you do not net it or touch it. Simply reach down with the pliers and turn the hook out. Not that I am against a picture every now and then. I think Oregon has a law that says wild fish are not to be taken out of the water. Don't know about California.

You got all the fight you wanted out of it. You had it in your hands. That is a caught fish. That one counts.

Its good to hear that it had enough energy to run from your hands. That tells me it wasn't fought to death. That one should survive.

Good Job!

Jeff Edwards

SullyTM Guest

Default It's a keeper

OK!! I'm on the map. It'll go down on the Report Card as a caught steelhead, and it was wild. Prediposed[sic] fin was in place. Time to tie a couple more red-eyed black leeches...Thom

Thom - GREAT JOB !!! Of course it counts .... David

Hand under the belly? Hell yeah that counts! Good for you Thom!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I agree with Jeff and the other guys. You got your hand on it and with some left over energy for the steelie.

Good catch
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default Caught Steelhead

I like to get a picture like the next guy. As long as you know you had it. That is all that matters.
    Tight Lines, Bryan