View Poll Results: What is your favorite local Striper fly ?????

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clouser Deep Minnow

11 52.38%
  • Andy's Striper Caviar

2 9.52%
  • Lefty's Deceiver

2 9.52%
  • Popovic's Siliclone

1 4.76%
  • Surf Candies

0 0%
  • Dan Blanton's Whistler

1 4.76%
  • Whitlock's Sheep Shad

1 4.76%
  • Popping bug

0 0%
  • Gummy Minnow

1 4.76%
  • Other (please specify)

2 9.52%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Striper fly !!!!!

Default Use Both !

Hi Darian,
    I have to talk out of both sides of my mouth about this one. First off let me say I eat an occassional striper and I've had the pleasure of investigating stomach contents more than once. One thing I've found in the stomach of the fish taken on the American is crawfish shells, and lots of them. So obviously that's a popular food for them.
    But realize the American is also home to lots of spawning lampreys, and I'm sure they digest much easier and faster than crawfish.
    As a kid I grew up on the American and fished and hunted almost daily from the black railroad trussle to almost Watt Ave. Regularly I'd swim the river and drag my fingers through the sand and collect baby lampreys between 3"-6" long. This was an "A" number one bait in those days of baitfishing. And, besides lots of stripers, I'd also pick up and occassional steelhead when fishing near some of the riffles.

With the clarity of the water on the American I think any fly should have some "naturalness" or realism tied into it. If you're going to be using crawfish or lamprey patterns, try to fish them slow and on the bottom as much as possible. With the more common baitfish or smolt patterns, a traditional strip-strip-pause retrieve works best to imitate a fish's actions.

Geez, I love the American,
    TONY

Default Use Both!!!

Tony,.... I probably should've said that I was putting development of a pattern on the back burner for now. I still intend to fish a Lamprey pattern that I bought at the now defunct Bob's Fly Shack . Altho, I haven't had much luck on it, so far.... Got any info about colors of small lamprey or how to create the undulating swimming action of these eels

Thanks for the help Tony....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

The clouser minnow is the best all around striper fly.

Produces stripers everywhere and it's easy to tie.

That's all, you can go home now.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default Clouser's.....

Hmmmmm,.... The poll indicates a 52% preference for clouser's. Can't really disagree with Adam's very positive statement. But it does beg a question .

Are all of the fish caught as a result of the Clouser's effectiveness or are all of the fish caught on Clouser's because something else was not used

I vote that Adam has to undertake a rigorous/meticulous study to confirm his theory (factual( ) statement.... Then produce the results before members of this BB :P :P :P
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Grace
    The clouser minnow is the best all around striper fly.

Produces stripers everywhere and it's easy to tie.

That's all, you can go home now.

I'm not going home. I'm going striper fishing!

Boy, do I get to see what fly is number one of Friday. If you know what I mean

Jay

Jay -

I'll be out there all day Friday , so stay off of my run

The water is still pretty cold , lots of Smolts still there - fish accordingly .

Adam - The best all-'round fly for Stripe is the one on my tippet :P

Now ..... go study

David

By the way , Jay .... Remember those W.K. Sea-habits you tyed for the NCFFB Striper swap ????

Guess what my first Stripe of the year ate ......

Thanks for the great bug !!

David

David,

Wait until you see the Hollow Fly version of the rainbow trout. Not marked with pens but tied with the different color buck tail. Been testing it in the swimming pool daily, haven't seen anything come after it.
    Just wait I know what hole will produce the 50lber. It's all set up

Don't get in the way........FISSSSSSSSSH OOOOOooooNNNNoooo

Jay

Jay - I wish you much good luck . A 50 ?? I believe it can happen , I don't doubt that there Striped Bass out there WELL over 60 lbs .

I'll have a newbe Striper fisherman out with me (SullyTM) , he'd be over the moon if ya said "Hi" and gave him a peek into your box when you float on by ....

I meant it - avoid 5 miles up and 10 miles down from where I'm BEATIN' on Stripe :P

David