View Poll Results: What is your favorite local Striper fly ?????

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Clouser Deep Minnow

11 52.38%
  • Andy's Striper Caviar

2 9.52%
  • Lefty's Deceiver

2 9.52%
  • Popovic's Siliclone

1 4.76%
  • Surf Candies

0 0%
  • Dan Blanton's Whistler

1 4.76%
  • Whitlock's Sheep Shad

1 4.76%
  • Popping bug

0 0%
  • Gummy Minnow

1 4.76%
  • Other (please specify)

2 9.52%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Favorite Striper fly !!!!!

Default Lamprey Patterns/ Colors

Darian,
    Stick with it, lampreys work great everywhere. As for color and material, I really like grey bunny strips with a cone head. Use as long a strip as you can find. The cone head really creates a nice swimming action with the bunny pulsing along behind. Purple is another good color. I also tie in two strands of Krystal flash right behind the conehead. Keep the colors subtle. Only a little is plenty. I use this to maybe add just a little attraction.

I've tried tying these larger with tanden hooks sort of like tying a barracuda fly but I loose the wiggle of the bunny tail. Gotta have that wiggle.

A while back in Fly Fishing Saltwater magazine there was a pattern a guy tied for the delta stripers that was almost a foot long. Naturally can't find the issue now.

See you out there,
    TONY

David,

we will be equipped with the highest technical radar system and the shallow running torpedo's. You'll probably see us float by hopefully being towed by the 50lber.
    I was going to post the "new rainbow" on the site but it's too late the weekend is almost here.

See ya the river or was it "rolling on the river" CCR

Jay

Default Eel Patterns??

Thanks Tony. The color info was a part thast I've been missing .

Anyone have any experience with a Blanton pattern: Bay Delta Eelette?? Looks good but the only info I've seen on it is from some oldfer articles in magazines.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hi Darian , I have a lot of experence with that fly ..... I have thrown it many times and never had a bite . It sure looks good in the water , though . I tye it on an Eagle Claw 254 Seaguard 2/0 with 6 to 10 wide black saddle hackles , mixed pearl/peacock KF , and a grizzly shoulder as wide as a quarter . Big bead-chain eyes complete the fly . Sure sounds cool (and frightening) when it whistles past my head whipped along by 30 feet of T-14 - hope I never screw-up and sink it into my scalp (YEOW !!) .....

That wasn't what you meant , was it ??? David

A new Hollow Fleye color scheme "rainbow trout" pattern???? Excellent. He pard... you rig that baby and I'll start with a smolt or crawdad. Got our bases covered right out of the gate. See ya in couple days.
    Cheers, amigo
    PS: Look out D.Lee we're heading your way!!!!
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Ken and Jay - check your Emails and keep it quiet . David

Default Striper Flies???

David,.... You have a JOOOooob Holllleeeee Cats .... Hope it's something you like to do or pays well (or both ).

About the Bay-Delta Eellette ,.... You have any theories as to why no bites It does look good . Think maybe Tony's right . Subtle colors and wavy type materials are the way to go. That's the same formula for the Galloup Crawdad.....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian - the job is in a small cabinet shop .... filthy , dusty , hand-cuttin' labor . I didn't want to tell anyone 'cause I have a subversive , fish-bum/Beer-drinking image to uphold . It's only 'till I pay off a few bills/toys ...(hope my wife doesn't read this !).

The fly has a good silloutte , but not the Lamprey action (the Lampreys I've seen , anyways ....) . I think it hasn't been eaten 'cause Stripe hasn't seen it !! Maybe Friday I'll get a hungry one to have a look ... Still haven't heard from SullyTM , I hope he makes it here because he's due for fishes

Can you make it out ?? Lemmy know . David