Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Casting Technique

SullyTM Guest

Default Fly Casting Technique

What is bad fly casting technique? Let's hear from the experts...I bring this up because I am rehabing a sore shoulder and bicep that I can trace to my fly casting...I'd like to hear from those of you not in pain. I'm thinking that an improper backstroke is probably at the root of the problem...but I could be wrong. I'd like to save the "old age" excuse for somethin important! Thank you.

Hey Sully,

Bad casting technique, I invented it!!!! I will be putting on a demonstration soon on the American, what not to do and how to do it well.

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Default Muscular/Joint Pain

Hi Sully,..... Have you confirmed, with a doctor, that fly casting is the cause of the pain that you've experienced If so, following the recommended medical solution and some casting lessons will probably help. Also, It never hurts to use proper casting techniques.

If you're guessing as to the cause, then be careful not to jump to conclusions about the cure. For example, I've been a constant racquetball player since 1977 and, at times, have experienced tendonitis in both my elbow and shoulder. Each time I had to consult either an MD or a physical fitness instructor. All of them were relieved thru use of rest, minor medication, proper exercise and stretching techniques, and weights to strengthen myself. If you have access to a physical fitness intructor, the advice you would receive may solve the problem.

Good luck

Default Muscular/Joint Pain

Hi Sully,..... Have you confirmed, with a doctor, that fly casting is the cause of the pain that you've experienced If so, following the recommended medical solution and some casting lessons will probably help. Also, It never hurts to use proper casting techniques.

If you're guessing as to the cause, then be careful not to jump to conclusions about the cure. For example, I've been a constant racquetball player since 1977 and, at times, have experienced tendonitis in both my elbow and shoulder. Each time I had to consult either an MD or a physical fitness instructor. All of them were relieved thru use of rest, minor medication, proper exercise and stretching techniques, and weights to strengthen myself. If you have access to a physical fitness intructor, the advice you would receive may solve the problem.

Good luck

SullyTM Guest

Default Casting Technique

Darian and Jeff...No I haven't consulted a doctor. I'm relunctant to spend $$ on an injury that I can control. I'm pretty in tune with my ailments and as long as I can tip a cold one then I'm happy...The casting is probably just a supplement to some of my job(videographer) which does causes some shoulder/arm discomfort...Ice, heat, massage has alwyas been the ticket to healing.
    Jeff, bad casting technique! I'm happy if I can get 2-3 good ones in a row! I think technique is a personnal preference. What's good for you may not be good for me. I'm learning more and more as I spend additional time on the water...See, you can teach a old dog new tricks!
    Tight Lines.

Hi Sulley,
    Good question. I just picked up the latest issue of Fly Fishing in Salt Water and there is a good article written by Lefty Krey. The title of the article is "Defeating Joint Problems." Give it a read...just might be what the Dr. ordered. (Jan/Feb. 2005)
    Terry

SullyTM Guest

Default Casting Technique

Hi Terry, My first reply didn't go through? I'll check out the article. Like a bad golf(like mine) a bad shoulder rotation when casting could contribute to a problem. I'm doing the home therapy and hopefully that will correct the problem...Thanks.

I think if the fly goes where you want it to go and you don't hurt yourself or anyone else while doing it, then I guess it is just fine.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bad casting techniques can cause sever problems not only resulting in poor performance but also damage to the body such as long term muscle damage, tennis elbow, carpal-tunnel or just sore muscles and joints. A large percentage of my students show up for their first lesson using too much energy to cast or are positioned incorrectly, refering to the position of the casting arm in relation to the body, such as the height of elbow, angle of elbow, therefore, they are casting with a very poor technique, using more than enough energy to tire not only themselves but me as well, from just watching. Having someone diagnose your casting during a lesson is probably the best advice, (my students think so ). Also, consider another style of casting, Lefy has a techinque, longer stroke, Mel has more of the compact stroke and maybe something in between is better for you. A professional casting instructor can also help to identify which one you should use. Last but not least, you might try single hand spey casting...it eliminates about 60-80 percent of flase casting.... ahhh...... less effort, better presentations, longer presentation time, less chance for knots, cool to watch, bla, bla, bla... good luck, jp

SullyTM Guest

Default Casting

Jeff...Your comments have alot of merit. Thanks to you and the others for offering some insight. Thom