Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Multi-day group float / fish-out

Default Multi-day group float / fish-out

I have been looking at this stretch of water from Star Bend on the lower Feather River downstream for ~20 miles to the mouth of the Feather River where it flows into the Sacramento River near Verona.

This stretch has lots of sand bars in the summer and could make a great overnighter for a bunch of us to float in almost anything from pontoons, kayaks, canoes, prams, Jon boats or any thing that is flat bottom and up to 16' long.

In the summer it would be good fishing early and late for Smallmouth bass.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Float Trip....

Hi Bill,.... Great idea. That stretch of water has a wide variety of depths to it but appears easily navigated. As you've pointed out, should be good for Smallies. If you can get enough interest, count me in..... We can even try to catch some catfish and carp

Uh oh, there he goes with the catfish again.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Fellas , I've been dreaming of that float for several years now . I've heard Jeff P. did it a while back , mabee he could relate the story ?? How long is the float , around 3 days ??
    Just the 8 foot pram , a sleeping bag , small ice chest , one Border Collie , two rods , no phone , no computer ..... Let's do it twice !! David

Default Feather Float

You can probably count me in too, Bill... and a buddy, with our drift boat. Boy, it'd be something to find a quality smallmouth fishery that close.

Keep us posted!

Dan

Sounds like a blast !!

Rob.

Yes, Jeff Putnam and 3 friends from The Fly Shop in Redding, CA did this float one spring about 3 years ago. They said they saw thousands of small juvenile fish of all types so the food was thick for the game fish.

The flow was shut down to like 1,200cfs just before they left so it took them 3 days and 2 night camping on the river. They were in two drift boats.

I have ben told that the Smallmouth fishing realy gets best in August after the flows are down. I guess they get hungry then too.

You can swim in the river mid-day and fish early and late for bass and what ever else might be in there.

We might get a large 'gang' together for this.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Ah, yes... a float down our local feather river... If I were going I would go sometime from late April to mid - late June, watch those flows, should be around 2200-3000 cfs. Just before our float the water dropped almost 1000 cfs and most of the big stripers we were hoping for (must have gotton word we were on they way, yeah right) moved out of the stretch from Shang-hi to Verona. Schoolies were all over and we did see some fish over 10-15 lbs and a few 20+. Smaller fish kept us busy as we cast streamers to them while they were chasing bait, and boy was there bait everywhere! No wonder why all those stripers are there. The few weeks before (flows were 2800cfs) we heard a lot of fish from 10-30 lbs that were ferociously blasting poppers and causing mild heart attacks to the anglers that were brave enough to hunt them. My kind of fishing! I have heard that July and August can also be great for topwater, especially evenings, might be a bit hot during the day.
    During the time we fished, we hit the perfect weather, high 80's and great camping on sandbars under star-filled night skies, can't wait to go back! You can do this float in 2 days or take your time and fish 3. If you want shad along with stripers you might stop to fish longer and need all 3 days. Be prepared for some rowing from the 99 bridge to Verona, slow water. (small motor or a rowing partner is nice). One of the best parts of the trip was fishing at the take out - Verona. We saw a monster striper there, 40 feet away, easily 30 lbs+, push a school of 50 shad or so to the surface and proceeded to beat the crap out of them with its tail and come back through the defeated school like jaws at a hot dog eating contest! How quickly we went from catching shad on every cast to throwing down our rods and launching clousers and the big beast!
    Lets set a date, I'm in.

Jeff - thanks for the report ... BUT , what about the Smallmouth ??? And the Skeeters ??? And the Redneck Locals ???? And the lack of ice for the Beer over three days ??!!????

Ohhhh , the horrors !! David

Good question about the smallmouth, David, I was curious about that omission myself. I had forgotten about the cold beer part, that is a problem....
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.