Thread: Honeymoon in Montana

Default Honeymoon in Montana

My amazing fiance' surprised me over the holidays with a change in our honeymoon plans from Mexico to Montana. She had a few basic ideas set up, but we are trying to figure the whole package out. We are looking for a comfortable place to stay (she dosen't fish much so she'll want some amenities), and some leads on good guides. We are hoping to spend a few days with a guide, one of them floating, one hiking, then scheduling some backpacking and horseback day trips on our own. I know many of you have been to Montana, so where is our best bet?

What a great women!

I think she's a keeper, although she may not be tall enough
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I have fished in Montana the last two summers near west yellowstone and there is a lot of good fishing around that area as well as seeing a good chunk of yellowstone park. As far as guides i would suggest the guys at Blue Ribbon flies. The owner Craig Matthews is a first class guy and has one of nicest staffs and best shops i have ever seen. I have been out with a few other guides from different shops and none compare to blue ribbons guides. Great guys and a lot of fun, not to mention hooking into a lot of fish. Good luck and let me know if you want any more information.

Jason

Ron:

I have the perfect place. Potosi Hot Springs Resort. My wife and I stayed there in the fall two years ago for several days, and it was great. Coincidentally, a couple on their honeymoon were there at the same time. It is very small, consisting of four nice cabins on a creek that is full of nice wild trout. The young couple that runs the place provides your breakfast, lunch in a backpack to send you off on the day, and a gourmet dinner in your cabin! Plus, the place has about three hot springs that you can lounge in. One is a private enclosed pool that is great at night by candlelight...

Here is the link: http://www.potosiresort.com/.

Nick, the owner, either guides himself or can arrange for guides on the major rivers close by. There are also horseback rides, massages, and other opportunities offered. I mostly fished the Madison while I was there and had a great time. Potosi is not too far from Ennis, which is sort of a center for fly fishing in the area. After returning from fishing the big rivers, I fished each evening to BWO hatches on the creek outside of the cabin. I caught 14 nice wild trout one night in the various pools along the creek. Most are 8-10 inches, but they sure are fun in such a small creek, and I did see a fish that looked to be about 18 inches just upstream from the cabins.

Probably sounds like I have some sort of affiliation with this place, but I don't. Just had a great time there. The honeymoon couple did too!
    Don C.

Gregg:

Sorry I meant to send the last message to you, not Ron Burgundy! I guess I was thinking of the quote about scotch, which I like too!

Happy Honeymoon!
    Don C.

Don, You are cracking me up.

I love Gregg's signature.

It still makes me laugh
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Thanks for the head's up, Don. The place looks beautiful, especially the hot springs. We will definitley make it an option!