Thread: Pedestal or Clamp?

Default Pedestal or Clamp?

Ok, we've covered vises. So, just to keep the discussion going, do you prefer a clamp for securing your vise to the table or a pedestal mount? I started with the clamp until I bought a pedestal on eBay. Cannot think of a reason to go back to the clamp. I spin/stack deerhair as much as anything and have had NO problems with stability. I've also found a pedestal allows me to pick up the vise and examine a fly-in-progress from ALL angles. Finally, there's the portability part, which is nice if you don't have a permanent tying station. Thoughts?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I use a clamp at my tying desk. I like having my bobbin hang a little lower than a pedestal allows. When the bobbin hangs lower it is more out of the way of my hands.

I do own a pedestal for my vise but I only use it if I demonstrate fly tying at a show or when traveling.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I only have clamp vises. I guess I am real picky about the heigth of the jaws. I think I have more control with a clamp. But you're sure right about the inconvenience of a clamp. I have been at many motel rooms while working-traveling and it never fails. The vise can't be mounted to the desk, I don't even bother taking it anymore when working.

It's gettin close to bluegill time
    Bob Scheidt

Bob you can buy a fairly inexpensive pedestal base for those times when you travel.

Much Easier.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Thanks Adam. I didn't know that.
    Bob