Thread: Leo Gutterres' twisted tropical salt water leader system

Default Leo Gutterres' twisted tropical salt water leader system

One thing that is new for us in tropical salt water leaders is the 'twisted' leader system that our friend Leo Gutterres of Stockton has been working on for about 5 years now.

One big plus for me is that with the stiff mono core lines that we use for the tropics we have to put a braided mono loops on instead of a needle nail knot. The twisted leader has a loop at the top end with no knots making this a very smooth connection.

The leader also tuns over and has more stretch so it is good for big violent fish on a fly rod.

Much of our staff have been working with Leo on the twisted leader which we use mostly in the warm tropical fishing situations.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Twisted Leaders

Hello everyone,..... I agree with what Bill has said about this leader. After getting a brief demo from Adam, I've been experimenting with constructing butt sections and found this to be a very promising system for tropical/warm climates. Not sure about cold climes, yet.

I've not yet casted a fly on it but anticipate good performance there. These butt sections do provide a lot of cushion/stretch and built in loops result from the construction process as well. Each butt section may be easily made from a single strand of leader from a spool. The length of the strand depends entirely on how long the butt section to be made is. (....Hope I said that right )

They're definitely usable for big game fish.