Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: pegging beads

Beautiful Steelhead Paul. Great coloration, still very bright. Good girth and length.

That is one hell of a steelhead

Thanks fot posting the picture, see it's not too hard.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default The Answer

Wow! Didn't think the original post would generate so much interest. I was surprized that the thread went from 'purists', to legality, to directions on how best to ... uh, more effectively hook, a steelhead.

But, alas, I figured out how to 'peg' all my flies. Here goes:

First, tie a your fly of choice onto your tippet (this will even work for dry flies, probably super effective). Be careful to leave several inches of tag end.

Second cut the hook part of your fly off. That's right , go ahead grab you pliers or dikes, and cut off the the hook.

Now, leaving only 1 inch, tie a no 10 Eagle Claw egg hook to the tag end. A no 10 because 12 is too small and 8 damages the fish. (And, of course we only want an inch because we don't want to be called a snagger, as we found out 4 to 6 inches would be snagging.)

There you have it, a pegged nymph, dry, or even streamer. But don't fish 'em under an indicator cuz that's not fly fishin'.

mike

Hey Mike,

I was trying to make sense of all this, but I think you've got it!
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Hey Mike,

Like MSP says...ya got it! But, you forgot to smash your barbs!

Crusty

Just finally set down and read through the feb issue of fly fisherman.
    There was a good article on tube flies which function in a very similar manner as beads with the hook offset from the fly.
    We have been using the Gamagatsu #4 octopus hooks also as they are extremely tacky. Can't wait to try out the new bonefish hooks for the surf!

Also attached is a link to my report on a coastal trip up north. My buddy got a few small ones, but we got to see one large (>10 lbs) coastal steelie landed by an older gentleman. Definitely cool.
    You guys have some great water up there salt or fresh.

http://www.garybulla.com/forum/viewthread.php?tid=1582

As you can tell by the site, i'm mostly a saltwater angler except during the winter.
    If you're down in the Santa Barbara area, post on the bulla board and I'll see if I can show you around.

-Paul

Great report Paul, thanks! Nice pictures too!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.