Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pegging beads

Default Glo Bugs???

Hi Mike,..... (Here I go again ) I believe that use of glo bugs was touched upon in one or more of the above posts and that there are some valid concerns about mortality rates using this type of fly....

I sometimes use a fly that resembles an egg (made of chenille/marabou) under an indicator and haven't experienced a problem with larger fish. However, I have hooked small trout deeply with it..... Not confident that these small trout made it after release. It's not my favorite fly.... Think I'll back off on this one and try to pick up on how others feel about it....

I figured I would pipe in here as I recently gave bead fishing a shot on the T.
    In our four day trip at total of 21 fish were brought to hand.
    Of these fish, 2 were on nymph, a couple on glowbug and the rest on beads.
    With a glowbug dropper and a bead above, the fish almost consistently took the bead. Same color although difference in water column height doesn't make this an entirely valid science experiment.
    Not one fish was snagged.
    All beads were pegged no more than 1" above the hook. I believe the reg in AK is no more than 2" from the hook.
    In addition, I found they were less of a deep mouth hook than previous experience with glowbugs.
    As far as I can tell from the above posts and my own research, there is no california law that would exclude an angler from using this technique.
    Based on my observation, it could in no legal or factual means be classified as snagging.

I used to be of the "No tie no Fly" mentality, but gave this a shot in preparation for a trip to Alaska. I think it is an effective alternative to glow bugs. With all of the synthetic material in flies these days, beads I guess are not really that far removed. Otters' soft eggs anyone? Hot glue gun eggs? Bead melted onto the hook shank?

-Paul

I should point out that the last fish of the trip for me was a toad on a blue copper john and yes it is always even more fun catching on something created at the bench.

Nice post PaulC.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default "Snagging"

Since there still appears to be some interest in this subject, I asked DFG for a reference in the regs/code in an E-mail to describe snagging. Their response follows:

Darian,

The answer to your new question is found in two regulations:

Definition Angling (FGC 86):
    To take fish by hook and line with the line held in the hand, or with
    the line attached to a pole or rod held in the hand or closely attended
    in such manner that the fish voluntarily takes the bait or lure in its
    mouth.

Definition Method of Take (T14 2.00):
    All fish may be taken only by angling with one closely attended rod and
    line or one hand line with not more than three hooks nor more than three
    artificial lures (each lure may have three hooks attached) attached
    thereto

As you can see, fish must be taken by "Angling". In order to be
    angling, the fish must voluntarily take a lure or bait in its mouth.
    Therefore, any fish taken by means other than in the mouth would be
    illegally taken. We commonly refer to this as "Snagging".

The "snagging" term comes from T14 section 48 which defines a snag hook as a hook used to take fish where the fish does not take the hook in its mouth.

Hope that helps!

So, DFG's response would seem to confirm that pegging beads could be a snagging technique if the distance between where the beads are pegged in relation to the hook results in hooking fish outside of the mouth. The method is undoubtedly productive as everyone has agreed.

Darian,

Once again your logic evades me. If the fish doen't voluntarily take the bead AND hook in it's mouth, then how does the hook get inside the mouth? You scarcastically complimented me on my >95% hook to snag ratio and made no mention of PaulC's 100% hook to snag ratio. These hooks get inside the mouth somehow.

If you feel the bead AND hook do not get in the mouth voluntarily, perhaps you can tell me how this is happening.

Crusty

They say a pic is worth a thousand words. Hope this works...I haven't tried this linking stuff before.
    Bead/hook in mouth (red bead) near roof of mouth.
    Only picture I could find from the trip that was pre-dehooking.
    The fish was released and swam away like a rocket.
    The other thing I noticed was that the bead tended to slide down towards the hook during a take and most of the time the hook was butted up to the bead when released.
    I might have been doing this wrong and not pegging hard enough...I have no idea.

Default Pegged Beads

Hi Crusty,.... I did not intend my reply to be sarcastic and apologize if that was how it was taken. I assumed that a person who could quote a percentage probably had logs to back that up. Many fly fisherman do that as a matter of course. My mistake.... Again, I intended no offense to you.)

As to my logic, I can't explain it any differently than I have. I believe, at this point that there is not a difference of opinion between us. You appear to be taking my statement of the illegality of snagging for a condemnation of the method, overall. That is not what I've said or itended. My whole premise has been to exercise caution in placing the beads while using the method. The farther the beads are from the hook, the more likely it will be that a fish is consistently hooked outside of the mouth and, thus, snagged. Have you heard of the term "flossing" If so, it could apply to this method.... if used incorrectly. That could result in issuance of a citation and an expensive fine.

Since the original question came from a local guide, he needs (and may already know) to have an answer that probably won't put his license in jeopardy. Keeping that in mind, I've treated this topic differently (more formal) than others I've participated in on this BB.

I sincerely apologize for any offense taken as a result of my comments.

Default Steelhead Photo

Paul,.... What a beautiful fish and great picture. Made my day.

Nice fish PaulC!

In regards to you bead sliding, try pegging with a piece of mono (about 150lb) instead of a toothpick. If the mono's the right size it won't slip. I also like the mono because it's clear and I don't have two browns spots on my bead. Downside is you can't slip the bead up to re-tie when the line frays. I carry a poker (a piece of welding rod stuck into a piece of deer antler) to push the mono out to reuse the bead.

Darian,

I'm glad you now don't think fishing with beads is synonymous with snagging. I agree with you about hook placement, and that applies to many other situations (tube flies, marlin lures, tuna feathers, J-plugs, etc.).

Crusty

Very nice fish Paul! I bet he put up a heck of a fight too.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.