Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Patterns on the Yuba

Default Patterns on the Yuba

Hi all. This board has been a great resource for information. I am glad to see it taking off!

I will be fishing the Yuba in a couple weeks on the UCD property with my club, the GB Flycasters. I am looking forward to getting a shot at some of those hard fighting Yuba fish! I have some suggestions on fly patterns and sizes but would like to know what anyone else out there has had success with.

Thanks for the help and I hope to meet some you at the shop during Bill Carnazzo's fly tying demo this Saturday.

Derek

Default Yuba patterns

I have had luck with poxy biot yellow stones 8-10, fox's pupa 16 green, green emerging caddis 16, prince nymphs 16-18, phesant tail nymphs 16-18, micro mayfly nymphs 18, squalla nymphs. You have to play around with sizes and colors to see what is working. I have tried some blue wing olive nymphs and some march brown nymphs but no luck yet.

Default Yuba Pattern

We never leave home with out it.
    The olive Zonker size 8.

This is a Photo of Cody fighting A fish he hooked on the Yuba with a Zonker.

Here he is with the fish.

Jason my oldest son with a fish he also hooked on the Yuba with a Zonker.

SullyTM Guest

Default Yuba

Hi Rob...On a personnal note I just want to say how proud you must be of your sons and their interest in flying fishing. The photos you posted show 2 very happy young men. I am introducing my teenage daughter to fly tying and to fly fishing...It's a tough sell, however, it's worth the effort.
    P.S. Do you have any tying instructions on that Zonker? Thank you.

Hi Rob! Once again, GREAT pictures. Your sons are obviously doing great, those are some very nice fish! Very inspiring.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default My Boys

Hey Mike and Thom.

Thanks for the compliments. I am very proud of my boys . I have had so much fun with then over the years . We have gone f.fishing so many times over the last 7 years that they are getting a little bored of flyfishing. So this last year we bought masks and Snorkels . Its a blast to snorkel the areas we fish. We only do it in areas that are safe and we always were a flotation vest. They enjoy feeding fish insects they catch. Your kids will injoy f.fishing as long as they keep catching fish. Make sure they can go places with a lot of small trout or bluegill.

Take care.
    Rob.

These are photos of Jason and Cody Snokeling the noth fork of the American.

SteelieD, Bring some of these flies with you.

PMD cripple #16
    PMD parachute style dry fly #16
    Pheasant tail nymph #16
    Maybe even a CDC floating nymph in PMD color #16

Skwalla stonefly adult dry fly #8 or #10
    Skwalla stonefly nymphs #8 or #10

BWO adult, Burks Silhoutte Dun #18
    BWO nymph like a Micro Mayfly #16 in olive

Like Rob said bring some olive zonkers in #8

If the weather is warm and sunny look for the PMD looking mayflies and the Skwalla stonelfies.

I hoe this helps.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

All,
    Thanks for the help! Rob your pix are fantastic... and I appreciate your help with suggestions on where to fish with my son.
    Adam, I hope to see you in the shop this weekend. I plan to be there to see Bill C. tie some masterpieces. Hopefully you can show me those patterns.
    Thanks again to everyone.
    Derek

Steelie, I do not work on the weekends. I would love to stop by and watch Bill tie but I have plans for this weekend. I hope you enjoy the tying demonstration.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Picture of the Yuba at sunset... jp

Here's a picture of a nice Yuba trout.