Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Tying Vises

Very nice setup Don! Looks like you have room for a computer monitor in the right corner so you can tie flies you find online. A little book stand on the left, a few framed flies and pictures of fish caught, perhaps a couple rods on the wall on pegs, maybe your favorite fishing hat hanging off a peg... looks like fly tying heaven.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Moose,

It wasn't the advertising that put AK out of business. That might be the stories you hear but we've talked to him extensively regarding the failure
    I really don't want to get into the depths of the subject. I know it still makes AK feel bad. His wife tried to make him forget about it when it first happened.

I still have the vise and super hair stackers that he made.

Jay

Mike:

You must have been looking in through my window! I do have two fishing hats hanging from pegs on the opposite wall in the room, framed fishing pictures on another wall, and I frequently use my notebook computer in the open spot on my tying bench. I'm also planning some day to hang up my grandfather's old split-bamboo rod that I inherited. It is a Paul Young rod from Michigan, built in the 1940s. Unfortunately, I don't have an old reel to put on.
    Don C.

Mike, are you a fly tying voyeur?

Don, again, nice room
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Don, that is too funny! When I saw your setup, I started fantasizing about what I would do with it if it was mine, ha. As it is, my fly tying is relegated to the kitchen table. Maybe someday....

Adam, that is sick! Sick I tell you! Uh, you know any other fine benches?
    -- Mike

I have seen one in the Redding Fly Shop's catalog. That is a nice catalog. Anyway, they sell a nice special tying desk. You do pay for it though. It is nice but fairly expensive.

For a low budget tying desk I would suggest a card table. Buy one of the Oasis pedestal bases, wooden platform with holes for tools, pegs for threads and cupped sections in the wood for hooks and beads.

Get organized and keep the small tying desk/card table in the corner of the a room.

Get some type of cool tying light. Maybe like the light in the picture below.

Buy a hook book like the one below. The bottom of the compartments are scooped for easy hook removal.

Maybe even buy a cool new box for your beads and cones, like the
    picture below. The individual boxes are like smaller tic tac boxes. The lids come off to make dumping in beads easy and the little flip up spout dispenses beads in a controlled manner.

P.S. I use the items I took a picture of and I love them.

Adam Grace

Adam, that wouldn't be lime floss on your fly tying bench in the photo, would it? If so, curious what you tie with it....
    -- Mike

Default Tying Space....

Hello everyone,...... After reading all of the posts on this, I realize why I'm still single :P :P (one of several reasons why; many beyond my control :P :P ). I have absolutely no problem taking up a large portion of my living room with fly tying furniture, storage and tools, not to mention work space...

Not sure whether Adam is single, but if he is, he may be able to appreciate it, already.....

Darian

Adam -your desk is WAY too clean .....Drink more Beer .

Mike -why don't you use some of that Lime Floss (like , tye those Trudes and send them up here) ????

Darian - Leave poor ol' Adam alone ... There's still hope for him without you (or I ...) adopting him ( ) .

D.J.L.

HAHAHA

Yes, I am single. I'm only 25. Not looking for a ball or a chain just yet. I like to be able to keep a messy desk and not be nagged AND I didn't have to spend any mony on flowers and chocolate on Valentines Day.

More money for tying materials and beer. :P

The "limefloss" is flat waxed chartreuse tying thread for striper flies. But we do carry a fluorescent green floss at our shop that should do the trick for you.

You guys crack me up.

Adam Grace