Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tying Vises

I would probably say, I've had just about every vise on the market since my early days except for the new models. I started with a pair of vise grips welded to a post, I've tied flies by holding the hook with the fingers, just like Lee Wulff. Had the Thompson's, Regal, Sunrise and finally went through almost all the dyna-king models, had one of the first rotary models they came out with. Finally, I'vd had the Barracuda for the past gawd knows how many years. I've had it overhauled 3 times already.
    But then again, I tie at least 1800 to 2000 dozen flies a year. Enough to make some heads spin. But I love it

So all in all my vote is for the dyan-king barracuda

Jay

Right on Jay! Barracuda Power

For a nice mid priced $150 vise the regal Rotary is great. My buddy Gregg was lucky enough to recieve the Regal rotary vise for Christmas. He really likes his vise. Hopefull he can post a reply and tell us himself.

Thanks for all the posts guys.

You make this board fun and interesting.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I like my Regal. It's an older one and has the crown burnt into the wood that holds the jaws. Rainey Riding said to call her if I ever want to get rid of it. She said it is pretty rare. I really like it.
    Also have an HMH, Danvise, and a Dynaking Traveler.

Bob Scheidt

Hey Bob,

Is your Regal one of the first to hit the market? I was given one of the first protype where the head portion was made of wood and the jaws had so much tension that it use to crush the old mustad hooks. This was before any other fly hook was on the market.
    I sure there are alot of us out there that could start a fly tyers antique museum.

Hey Bill, want to lease another section of the building for a museum :-)

Jay

Hi Jay:
    I don't think my regal vise is one of those that could damage a hook. The one I have has the crown burnt into the wood and a slit that you actually slide the hook point in. I clean it and put a little oil on things now and then. Most of all, I gotta stay lucky and hope it never breaks.

Bob Scheidt

I started tying last year with a Sunrise Vise (India) that I bought off of eBay for about $12.00. Don't laugh too hard now.

I recently picked up the Regal vise (C-Clamp version) after going through Jeff's tying class and I can't believe the difference!

I will admit after reading through this thread that I have a long way to go to catch up with all of you, but so far I'm loving every minute of it!

gcmachel, laugh you say? Not from me... I'm STILL using the Mastax vise (India) that I got off of eBay for $12.50, ha. I think I might replace it someday but I've used it on hooks from 2 down to 22 with no problems and it does have rotary capability (although not "true" rotary). It also came with (3) sets of jaws.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I'm using a new Peak rotary vice now that I got for Christmas, thanks to my lovely, and surprisingly understanding, wife! The photo below does not show the new vice, but I wanted to show off my fly-tying bench that I put together by refinishing an old oak table and very old microscope slide cabinet that holds many of my materials. The desk is covered by a plexiglass cover that I had cut to size, which makes a nice surface to work on.

Don C.

Very nice. Thats fly tying luxury. Good digs.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I have an A.K.'s vise designed by AK Best. These were produced with so much fanfare and money spent on huge advertising campaigns that the company went bust and, I believe, the vise is now made by Mckenzie out of Oregon. Too bad, if they'd just marketed them in a more financially cautious manner they'd probably still be around today. Really a great vise, I've had it for about 8 years now and it works very well.

I will likely be looking for a good tube vise in the near future.