Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tying Vises

Default Tying Vises

I started out fly tying with an antique Thompson steel molded vise. Then I moved up to a newer Thompson model "A" vise ($50). After a a couple of years of fly tying I spent some big bucks and purchased a Regal rotary vise ($130). I tied on that sucker for quite a while. I think the Regal rotary vise is great but after I used Jeff Putnam's Dyna King Barracuda I had to have one. The Barracuda ($330) is a great vise. I love the "true" rotary function and the knobs and adjustments are easy to use.

Here's a picture of my vise.

I have also found another great fly tying aid. A daylight lamp($80). This light is just like an ott-light ($130), they both emit a day light spectrum of lighting. The artificial daylight light up materials and my tying desk very well. The light is bright but not too bright, the bulb barely gets warm. A halogen bulb gets very hot and is usually a little too bright.

Check out the area lighted up on my desk from my daylight lamp.

Do you have a favorite light or any other type of fly tying aid?

What vises do you guys like and tie on?
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Hey Adam,

I thought about getting that exact lamp but decided to wait a little bit for some reason.

That barracuda is a nice vise. You have to love Dyna Kings jaw set up, one of the better designs IMOP. I thought about getting one but went with the Nor-vise instead with the micro jaws. I like it, it's fairly compact etc... and can spin like a mother which comes in pretty handy doing certain things and the 90 degree stops are a nice feature too. It's a little tricky to get used to though, but I also like the non-attached thread post and stuff as well....

Oh, my favorite gadget....the automatic bobbin!! It's such a spoiler....If anyone wants details etc... pm me as I don't really feel right pimpin stuff out on the forum....
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

SullyTM Guest

Default Tying Vises

Hi Adam...Clean up that tying table! Actually, it shows a committed tier.
    I use the kitchen table...after the dishes have been cleared! A friend of mine at ESPN gifted me an AK Best vise about a year ago and I've been tying ever since. For additional light I use a circular magnifying light on a rectractable arm. With my declining close-up eyesight I can use all the help I get get.

Default Detiorating Eyesight.....

Hey Sully,.... I hear you.... use the same type magnifier/light you describe.

I use a Renzetti, mainly because it was a decent vise for the $$$
    I recently tried using the GE Reveal light bulbs in a directed lamp that does a pretty good job. I'm all about the budget.

I don't mean to go off in another direction, but what about tying stations/desks etc. Any good recommendations for a minimalist?

Default Tyin Station.....

Digger, Digger, Digger,..... You're obviously going in the wrong direction. Minimalist, indeed :P :P

Most of the fly tyers I know are like me,..... SINGLE,..... as a result of fly tying at home; taking over pieces of furniture and whole rooms....
    OK, a little too much time "hanging" with fish, also....

Actually, I'm not sure what a minimalist (in fly tying) is..... Sorry, not much help here.

I am using a Griffin Patriot Cam vise ($142.00 + tax) . I like it , but the jaw settings have to be changed when you change hook sizes (no big deal ...) . I used to have the bottom of the line Thompson , the black one .... Never any problems with it after THOUSANDS of flies .
    The only advice I will offer (other than not spending $300.00 on a friggin' vise !!!!) is to keep your tying stuff set up AT ALL TIMES - try to get into the habit of tying one fly every morning before work , or before ya go to bed . It makes tying a lot more pleasant in the long run and it's a nice way to start the day (or end it) .
    I want to add .... Before I even had a vise , I would tye glo-bugs (down to size #10) by hand , without a vise(Go ahead ... TRY to flare the yarn that way ...) . If you don't have the best gear , use what ya got ! David

Default Fly Tying Vise

Hello everyone,..... Guess I'm like most tyer's.... Started on a Ned Gray fly tying Kit my Dad gave me (approx. 1953). The vice wouldn't hold many hooks after the flies I tied from the kit were done but I didn't care. My Dad gave it to me.....

Didn't tie enough to buy a new vice until 1968 when I moved to the Bay Area and needed to tie Steelhead flies..... Bought a Crest vice that served very well until the cam lever/jaws wore out. Bought a Thompson, model "A" vice; then a THompson adjustable/rotary vice with a pedastal base. Didn't feel that was a very good vice (serviceable only for small/medium hooks) for large hooks. The jaws were too smooth.

My latest vice is a Regal/pedastal base, rotary vice. Relatively low purchase price; good versatility. I'm very satisfied with this vice.....

Over the course of time, I've tied, as David has, holding the works in my hand; using a vice grip and a Croydon hand held vice (not mine).

Hi Darian , I mean NO vise , Visegrips , or other stuff .... Hook held between fingers (it's worse than most think !) .
    You've been tying since 1953 ??! Over 50 years puts some perspective on things , don't it ?? It's hard for 10 year tyers (like myself ...) to picture life without Flashabou , Krystalflash , Foam , fake hair , good nylon and polyester thread , lead eyes , 150 colors of man-made dubbing ,Silicone , epoxy , tape eyes , etc ......
    Most of the bugs a person can come up with using fur , feathers , and steel still work pretty good . David

I'm just a tying junkie. Started many years ago with a Thompson A and went to the HMH. Bought a Regal for traveling and am currently using a Dyna-King. Really like the Dyna-King.
    Terry