Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surface or Sub-Surface for Bass?

Bass commando Leo Gutterres only uses hard bodied poppers he makes for getting them on top.

Bass adict Pete Peterson on uses a sinktip line with sinking flies.

I am going to go out with guide Capt. Kevin Doran this summer in the PM to get a big bass in the Delta. He likes things like Dahlberg Divers and Umpqua Swimming Baitfish.

This picture is from the "Striper Surf" web site.

http://stripersurf.com/index.html
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Here's a brace of Leo Gutterres poppers , if you can get your hands on some , DO IT !!! They are the BEST ones around !! David

Hi David! Those flies are so pretty, I wouldn't want to fish 'em -- those bugs should be framed! I really like how he has the hair hanging off of both sides on the fly on the right. Reminds me of bass bugs tied during the early/mid decades of the last century. Fly tying art at its very best....
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Mike , can you post a photo of the two you have ?? Leo Gs bugs are just unbelievable , I really need to buy some to FISH , hard to put the few I have at risk ! David

Leo sells these things?!? Any idea where? I'll try to post pictures of the two I have....
    -- Mike

Here you go, two more masterpieces by Leo. By the way, I love the way he cups out the faces -- you can just visualize these things popping away....

-- Mike

Default Sliders??

Hello evryone,..... How many have used a "slider" to imitate an injured minnow??? I still have one old Plastic headed slider produced by Heddon. In its time, it accounted for quite few fish. Nowadays, cork or deer hair bodies are to more prevalent for bass but small (Sneaky Pete's) sliders're still popular for blugill/sunfish.....

If you come upon black bass "blitzing" shad, you can't beat a slider..... Easliy picked up and recast; hook sets are never a question (use a stout leader )

Darian, I have caught my largest bass on a slider. I reversed a cupped popper head. Then tied and painted the slider in frog colors.

I hooked the 6 lber 3 feet from the bank.

Very exciting
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Adam, wow, a 6 lber?!? Do you have a picture of the slider you used? I have yet to catch a bass that big on a topwater deerhair bug. Kind of wondering if anyone else has....
    -- Mike

Hair, I will have to dig for it, but I have it somewhere. It is not digital, just plain film. I caught it about 5 years ago at a private lake in Sonora. Very exciting to see it blow up on my slidder so close to shore. It was like a crocodile snatching a unsuspecting gazel by a watering hole.

KABOOM

Top water is what's exciting about bass fishing.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member