Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surface or Sub-Surface for Bass?

Darian,

The llama hair worm could easily be made into a lamprey style fly. We would probably have to change the weight distribution on the hook, so it would swim differently. Or keep it so it jigs up and down. With the llama hair, you can blend so many different colors and add enhancers on top of that.
    I'll try to find a photo of a lamprey through the internet and take a look at the colors and see what I come up with

Jay

Default Lamprey

Thanks Jay,..... If you have access to one, there's a description and photo's of Pacific/River Lamprey in The Audubon, "Field Guide to North American Fishes,......" Photo pages 42, 442. Written description at pages 327/328.

Hope this helps.....

Darian

Thanks, I'll check it out and see what comes off the vise

Jay

Hi Adam! VERY nice tie! I really like the bi-colored head -- how'd you do that? Marking pens?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Rainbow SHB

Just found the CD that has the rainbow sea habit bucktail. I think the photo's are ok but it doesn't have the captions like the white knight does.
    Have to do some work on it and it should be ready to send out

Jay

Hair, I like to make my flies look good. For the colored head I use two colored markers, pink and olive. I first coat the head in Sally Hansens "Hard as nails" onto my white Danville Falt Waxed Nylon thread. After the nail polish dries, I color the head. I reapply another coat of hard as nails after the marked color dires.

I think it adds a great finishing touch.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Adam, I agree, it does add a nice finishing touch! Thanks for explaining your process. Let's see, I have 41,347 items of fly tying materials but, once again for the 10,000th time, it's back to the shop for more materials (markers, sheesh....)
    -- Mike

Default Surface Bass

Hey Mike,.... Is that a fly on the line in your picture (avatar) or a microfiche :P :P :P :P

Ha, ha, very funny. I'll have you know, sir, that happens to be a bluegill on the end of my line, thank you. My kids took the picture when I took them fly fishing for bluegills last summer. Sheesh, that's the problem when you fish mostly alone, you have no pictures of yourself with fish. Guess I'll have to take the kids fly fishing for tarpon.
    -- Mike

Default Lamprey Pattern

Hi Jay,..... Noticed Lamprey individually vacuum packed in a local bait shop. The price was astronomical. I was thinking of buying one to get an idea of color/size but don't think it's worth it.

The small lamprey was about 8" in length and shaped a lot like an elongated candlefish/eulachon. I couldn't see the coloring weel as the packaging included a lot of blood from the carcasse. Also posted under "Stripers"