Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surface or Sub-Surface for Bass?

Default Surface or Sub-Surface for Bass?

I prefer to fish on the surface for bass. The explosive takes keep me coming back But I have caught a consistantly larger average of fish while fishing streamers sub-surface.

One of our customers is a bass fanatic.
    He fishes subsurface most of the time.

How so you guys generally fish.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Nothing beats seeing the water just explode from a bass taking a bug on the top. Hearing the bug go pop pop pop then BOOM!!!! SPLASH!!!! and then the heart going THUMP THUMP THUMP. I would rather catch one fish topside than subsurface anyday. I will still take them with a streamer sub-surface though any day. My vote goes to Surface.

Hi Adam! I prefer to fish on the surface as well for the very reason you cited -- nothing like the heart attack-inducing strike of a good bass on top. Gets my heart racing every time. A.J. McClane, who probably fished for and caught just about every fresh and saltwater gamefish of his time put it like this:

"I suppose the peculiar fascination bass bugging has is in the strike. To see a heavy fish rise from under the lily pads or slip out from under a dense growth of weeds to smash at a floating bug is the most tense moment an angler can experience at the end of any search." -- A.J. McClane, The Practical Fly Fisherman (1953)

Having said that, I've also enjoyed fishing a chartreuse and white Clouser with a little bit of flash -- I tie them with small dumbbells for this purpose, and have found I can jerk it in short spurts (like a small, fleeing baitfish) just under the surface where I can still see the strike. Under a few, very specific conditions I've learned to recognize, I have found a Clouser superior to a topwater bug.

Curious what streamer(s) you use to catch your consistently bigger bass? I've tried a Mickey Finn but did not find it nearly as effective as a Clouser.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Hi Eugene! I guess you posted while I was posting, ha. As far as your comments, my sentiments exactly!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I'll take 'em where I can - Top , mid , or bottom .
    In the creeks I fish , most are sub-surface . Lakes , wherever they want to eat ! David

I tie a rainbow trout sar-mul-mac like Andy Guibord's "Striper Caviar." No picture available.

I also use a rainbow clouser, the one below. Also works well for stripers.

Chartreuse clousers have also caught some bass.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

WORLD-CLASS TYE !!!!! Shoot , Adam ... that thing looks so good you should be beat with a Bobcat !!! D.J.L.

Default Bass Flies

I've been studying the habits of bass in water conditions such as clarity, temperature, etc....
    Since moving to the valley, I've been in my bass mode. I've designed 18 different patterns for bass that should work. Some of the most dominant colors are black/purple, purple/chartreuse, etc.... I have come up with 7 different worms made from Llama hair. slinky fiber and yak hair tied onto a gamakatsu jig hook with a cone head and tungsten bead for rapid decent. I'm also working on a few crank bait flies.
    I'm dragging them through my swimming pool. If the water wasn't 42 degrees, I would try some underwater filming.

Jay

Default Worm Flies

Hi Jay,..... Under the "Striper" topic I posted to find out something about Lamprey..... Description, fishability, etc.

Your worm flies sound interesting. Does it sound like there might be some cross-over into the Lamprey imitation

Taking them on the surface is THE reason I fish for bass. However, this time of year when the water is cold they just won't come up so I will go subsurface and work the flies very slowly.
    Tom Moore