Thread: DVF Spey gathering

Default DVF Spey gathering

This past Saturday, Diablo Valley Fly Fishers gethered at the Sunrise Blvd access on our Amercian River. Jeff Edwards sponsered their spey fish out and managed to interest eight club members to make the trip to the American to fish and cast their spey rods.

Above is apicture of the Diablo Valley spey fishermen group on Saturday.

From left to right, Jeff Edwards, Dan and Ian

Jeff Edwards was nice enough to invite Jeff Putnam and myself to the event. Unfortunately Jeff Putnam was busy all day with casting lessons. I was free to join in and I enjoyed myself. I met some nice guys and enjoyed a day of spey on the water. The weather was beautiful, the sun was out and so were the Sacramento area fishermen. The Upper Sunrise area was crowded with people wading and people in boats.

The Sunrise area was very crowded. I don't think any of the club member hooked into any steelhead but there were lines all over the place.

I think that the Watt Ave area is one of the best places on the American for a spey gathering because there is plenty of shallow water for people to spread out. Watt is usually less crowded as well. Maybe I can convince Jeff to check out Watt area next time. To Jeff's credit he chose Sunrise because of the better chances of catching fish.

I always enjoy spey outing like that. I look forward to seeing some of the DVF members at our Kiene's Spey event later on in the year.

Thanks for the invite Jeff.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Adam those pictures look great! I want to extend a thank you from all of us at DVFF. We had a great time meeting you and casting the long rods!

It was a very crowded day! I don't think any of us landed a fish. Oh well we all still had fun. It was a beautiful day.

I think the next time we do this we will meet at Watt Ave. or the lower part of Sunrise below the walking bridge. Hopefully the crowds will be lighter in those areas.

I would certainly like to Spey fish with you again. Also thanks for the pointers. They helped a lot! I also wanted to thank you for spending time showing Ian how to use his new Spey rod. I really appreciate that, and I sure he does also.

Thanks Adam!

Jeff Edwards