Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly Swap Update

Default Fly Swap Update

Ok, after scanning through both threads, I've compiled the final list of tyers for the first ever Kiene's Bulletin Board fly swap! Also, a hearty Thank You(!!!) to our host, David Lee, for kicking off and pulling this historic event together:

1 David Lee - Andy Burk’s Dragonbuggers
    2 Hairstacker - Golden Stone
    3 Darian - Whitlock Fox Squirrel (Emerger)
    4 PM - Cal Bird's Stone
    5 Jason - Olive Bird of Prey
    6 Jeff Goding - Caddis Fly Larvae
    7 Terry Thomas - Big Black Stones
    8 SullyTM - Ammonite Nymph
    9 Gregg - Barred Black Rubberleg Stonefly
    10 MSP - Flying Carpet Emerger
    11 Adam Grace - March Brown Nymph

Anyway, if you post what you're tying, I'll update the list above. 'Course, nothing wrong with keeping silent and surprising everyone.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

SullyTM Guest

Default Fly Swappers

Hairstacker...Maybe Bill Will display the "First" Kiene's Fly Shop Forum Fly Swap?? Who knows...the Dirty Dozen may motivate more people to start tying. I had to try out one the Ammonite today on my local creek...For the past week I'v been praying to the Grand Gods of Fly Fishing for some steelhead to show up...Nothing but Sacramento Suckers...until today! Good clarity and the sun was shining...Boy Howdy if a small school of about 12 weren't swimming with the suckers! Almost fell into the creelk I got so excited! I know the American is the place to be, however, steelhead in Contra Costa County waters is a good ecological sign. Did I catch one? No! But I did get a strike and I know it wasn't a sucker. My fly was taken hard and away the fish went...lasted about 10 seconds but for this neophyte it was well worth the wait...In 2 weeks it'll be time for the AR!

Man, I'm going backwards... Had 5 flies done but didn't really care for the pattern I developed so I went back to the drawing board.....

I have one new fly done....and I think it's a winner! I'm going with caddis larvae that should be a killer on the American I'm hoping...I'm going to try to get a pic of it but not sure if the camera I have will capture it....

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Hey Sully,

The ammonite pattern... are you using the one developed by Steve Thornton or something else.... Just wondering

Jeff

grgoding@yahoo.com

Default Fly Pattern

Hi Guys,..... Unless someone else has already targeted this one, my contribution to the swap will be the Whitlock Fox Squirrel (Emerger).

Hey all... It looks like I'll be tying a #10 black rubberleg stonefly. I'm stoked to be a part of this swap, it looks like fun. Do we have a due date yet?

Hi Gregg! Yep, all flies are due no later than March 5.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

SullyTM Guest

Default Fly Swappers

Jeff, The Ammonite pattern I'm using is the Steve Thorton design. I came across it several months ago but have never tied one until David put together this fly swap. I'm tying them on #8 TMC 2499SPBL(funny how every hook manufacturer has secret codes!) Barbless. I've changed a few items in the pattern only because the instructions are in error in a couple of places, or I can't figure out the "you should know that" aspect of the instructions. Also, I try not to use lead because of the environmental concerns...The one hurdle I keep coming up against is the splaying of the feather on the thorax...I'm having fun with this pattern. Thank you.

Hi Sully,

You think all the hook manufacturers could freaking name all their hooks the same don't you... It would make our lives much easier...no tmc 200r's in stock, well, I'll get the mustad 200r's then.... but nooo, it's like tmc 200r, where's the damn mustad chart.... that hook looks the same, it's a Mustad 458772544554, but wait, the hook comparison chart says I need the Mustad 4552124585650.....

That ammonite pattern is cool, and yes, the hackle splaying part is a bit tricky.... never tied one, so I wouldn't really have any pointers, but I've tried the hackle thing with other patterns.... comes out OK...

grgoding@yahoo.com

I am designing a new March Brown nymph from scratch. I am not done with the design yet but when I finish I will post a picture onto this forum.

March Browns will be happening soon on the Yuba

Gregg is desgining a dark rubber legged stonefly with the new fine barred rubber legs. Those legs make flies look bitchen
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member