Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are you going this year?

Default Where are you going this year?

Tell us where you are headed this year.

I am headed to Florida in late February for a month of grankids and fishing.

Joe Shirshac and 3 friends are headed to New Zealand in a week or so for a month trip. They have rented a van and will be driving around the South Island. This is an annual trip for thes retired fly fishers.

I am going on a 4 day float down the Grande Ronde River in mid-October with Rick Jorgenson and Don Rotsma. I just got a new Anderson Light Spey rod for this trip so I better be learning how to use it.

Scott O'Donnell's web site:

http://www.piscator.homestead.com/home.html

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Baja, East Cape

Hello Everyone,..... I'm planning on taking a trip to East Cape in Late September or Early October (hoping to miss the hurricanes ). Went there in June, last year but it was too early for all out fishin'.... Still very good, tho. East Cape has been described as the mexican Riviera and it's well deserved. Last year was a general vacation. This time I intend to devote more time to hardcore p...... fly fishin'

Los Barriles is a great little town with several good places to eat/stay. In-shore/surf fishin' is really interesting around there. There are panga fleets at La Ribera and Los Barriles. Lotsa cruisers available, as well.

Think I might try a different part of East Cape this year (further down towards San Jose Del Cabo. Still researching.....

Well I will be heading to the East Cape also. Going down in May for a week. 6 days of fishing and mucho Pacifico's. Hate to say it but I don't just use the flyrod when I go down there. Also a good chance of heading to Argentina around November. Found a pretty good deal at the Sac ISE. Actually the wife was the one who wanted to stop.

mike
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Default East Coast Stripers???

Have a hankering to go to somewhere on the east coast to fly fish for stripers. Probably not more than 5 days fishing duration. With the exception of Chesapeake Bay, I don't have much knowledge about the timing or type (surf or boat) for that area..... Don't necessarily want to freeze my tocus off

Anybody got any information/suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by MSP
    Well I will be heading to the East Cape also. Going down in May for a week. 6 days of fishing and mucho Pacifico's. Hate to say it but I don't just use the flyrod when I go down there. Also a good chance of heading to Argentina around November. Found a pretty good deal at the Sac ISE. Actually the wife was the one who wanted to stop.

mike
    Hi Mike,

I went to New Zealand once in November and that was a little early like early spring with cold weather and rain.

Maybe Dec- Feb for Argentina?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Default Re: East Coast Stripers???

Quote Originally Posted by Darian
    Have a hankering to go to somewhere on the east coast to fly fish for stripers. Probably not more than 5 days fishing duration. With the exception of Chesapeake Bay, I don't have much knowledge about the timing or type (surf or boat) for that area..... Don't necessarily want to freeze my tocus off

Anybody got any information/suggestions
    Darian, I was fortunate to fish with these top east coast skiff guides. They are part of the Sage Pro Staff.

http://outerbanksflyfishing.com/index.cfm

You would just email them and get some advise after reading all their web info.

They are very busy so you have to get lucky to find any open days.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Hey Bill,

Nice finally meeting you and Adam yesterday at the shop. Thanks for the heads up about when to go to Argentina. I'll start checking the location and weather down there. Will be going with the family so nice weather would definately be a plus.

mike
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Bill: Off to the North Island of New Zealand in the dark of the moon in June to fish the lakes in the Rotorua area. This is night wade fishing in lakes with a floating line and a lumo smelt fly. Typical fish will be 4-6 pounds but always the possibility of an 8-10 pound fish. This will be my 18th trip to the North Island. United/Air New Zealand now have non-stop flights out of SFO.
    Gordon Langenbeck
    Grants Pass, OR

Default east coast stripers

Darian,
    not much good new here on the striper front. 30 days of 25 kt winds has pretty much shut our fishery down. Here on the northern outer banks of north Carolina our good fly fishing for stripers starts in mid December as a rule and runs through January and if the weather is fair into Febuary.
    This year off the charts until the 13th of Jan, the winds came.
    ours is a sinking line fishery best from a boat big flies for the most part and nice bass. Average fish this year was around 32 to 38 inches. The big fish showed up just as the weather turned sour

Default Lumo Smelt Fly???

OK,.... I give up. What's a Lumo Smelt Fly I'm guessing something with a bit of luminescence in it.... But is the basic fly like Mrs. Simpson, Red Setter or some other NZ Pattern

I've long been interested in the NZ patterns for night/lake fishing