Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carp

Default Grass Carp/Koi???

Jeff,.... have you seen the price of KOI recently If you're correct about Grass Carp being Koi (in natural colors) maybe we should start a commercial Grass Carp operation (do they change colors in captivity )..... We could be rich.

OH, there's an idea. Not sure where the mutations originate from as with anything,there is always that chance. We'd probably have to spike the population with some Koi broodstock... and see what we get! And if anything, we could have a fishing pond with some bruisers in it

Still trying to check on what species of carp we have here as well.... I don't think they're all grass carp....but the regs say any grass carp must be released for some reason too....

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

While perusing the NCFFB, I came across this post from June 2003 that I though you all might find informative:

Now is the time for some serious carp fishing! If you're heading up to Black Butte Lake, try the north end where some of the creeks flow into the lake. You'll find a lot of shallow flats no more than 2 feet deep and pods of 4-10lb. carp roaming around. I used a 9' 5wt. rod with floating line and a brown-cinnamon wooly worm. You really need good polarized glasses and wade slowly to avoid spooking these fish. I caught 3 carp in one day, missed a couple of strikes but I spooked a heck of a lot more than that. This is a great, under-utilized resource which NOBODY uses. Plus, its great practice for when you DO go to the Bahamas. Enjoy."

Also, in this post, this writer stated that he caught an 8 lb carp "that suddenly takes off on a looong run, my reel is screaming and my rod is bent into a croquet hoop! I'm whooping and hollering, the people on the bank think I'm some nut case. Back and forth we tussle. The fish makes run after run, never getting tired..." Does sound like fun, doesn't it?
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Types of Carp in This area

Jeff,..... My Audubon Field Guide shows e types of carp in this area. The Goldfish, Grass Carp and the Common Carp. In addition, there're two fish listed that're difficult to separate from Carp. These two are Hardhead and Hitch (they may be minnows).

Hope this helps

There are great big carp in this lake behind the grandkids in FL that actually tail along the shore in clear water eating something off the bottom?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Carp Redux.....

Hello everyone,..... copied the Following info from Blanton's BB (hopefully he won't mind ) Thought it was funny (...and serious too):

'For those of you who are expert Carp fisherman, there is big money on the line coming this June. See below for an excerpt from today's Wall ST Journal article:

"Mr. Moore and the American Carp Society were instrumental in luring the World Carp Championship to the U.S. from its usual venues in France and Romania. The open tournament will be held in June on a 40 mile-stretch of the St. Lawrence River near Ogdensburg, N.Y. Two hundred two-man teams from as far away as Russia will fish around the clock for 115 hours. The team that catches the greatest total weight of carp takes home $100,000. Anyone who breaks the New York State record of 50 pounds, 4 ounces for a single carp gets $1 million, paid out over 40 years. The prize is guaranteed, for an $11,500 fee, by a Las Vegas odds-making company." '

Maybe I outta forward this to the California Lottery Comm. :P :P