Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mentioning the Unmentionable.....

Bill, WOW, a 3 lb+ crappie? That's awesome, probably the crappie equivalent of a 15 lb largemouth bass. A once-in-a-lifetime type fish and definitely mount-worthy.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Oh, and it should be mentioned there are actually two subspecies of crappie: the white crappie and the black crappie. I believe we only have the black crappie in Northern California, does anyone know differently? Has anyone ever caught a white crappie in Northern California?
    -- Mike

Hi Mike,

I looked at DFG's website and there are state records for both sub-species. The white crappie came out of clear lake of all places but I believe I've caught both species fishing around the state. It's been awhile since I've actually caught one though, but I used to catch them out of the Sacramento River up by Knights Landing.....
    \
    Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Hi Jeff! Thanks for correcting me, I appreciate it. If Clear Lake has 'em, I bet other waters in Northern California do too.
    -- Mike

Default Hey Everyone.....

Hey everyone,..... We could set up a Crappie-o-rama I was gonna state that differently but sanity overtook me.

I'm down - how about mid-April at Camp Far West ?? D.J.L.

I know some local areas that have em (crappie), but I'm not sure about access anymore. I'll try to check them out and see if they can be reached still. Some pretty good sloughs, but accessible with a float tube, or small boats. Never fly fished for them either but I bet small minnow immitations would be killer. I used to have a couple in my fish tank, one of the more beautiful fish out there. They have a natural sheen/irridescence to them in the water. They loved eating guppies too.

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Default Crappie Spots (....for fishin')

Hello everyone,..... Some of the local spots for crappie fishin' that still have access are Ranch Seco Lake, the by-pass sloughs off I-5 at the airport (west side) and some sloughs (Snodgrass, etc.) south of Sacramento, among others.

David,.... I'm up for Camp Far West Reservoir. Mike might know about some places in the delta (I've caught a few in areas around docks, etc.) or in a local (for mike) lake or reservoir.....

Default Crappie

Darian, I am not a dedicated crappie fisher but as a kid a caught my share on flies. Those white BB eye flies with yarn bodies and marabou tails were the thing and were castable on a 5wt trout rod. Maybe 3 years ago I caught and released a crappie at Amador that measured 15-1/2 inches, the biggest one I ever caught on any tackle. It hit a trolled #6 purple zonker. I have not fished for them in the Delta but if you try around the rock walls and brush you should find some. Good luck

Default Crappie

HC,.... A PURPLE ZONKER Now THAT'S an unusual Crappie fly....
    COOL