Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Davis Lake Pike,..... ARRrrrrggh!!!!!

Default Davis Lake

Hi Sully,.... The major impetus behind this comes from a legitimate need to protect endangered species (Salmonids in particular) who reside downstream from the dam(s). The stream below the dam feeds into the feather River, eventually. Of course, that need might be misplaced in this case.

The population in the surrounding towns weren't overly supportive of the last attempt to poison the lake.... ( to say the least). A lot of business in that area is dependent on fishing/golf/tourism/water . All related to a healthy Lake Davis. I have no real proof of it, but, I suspect that several businesses closed as a direct result of the last poisoning..... The state paid out a large amount of settlement money to locals for damages from the last action.

In view of the fact that Pike have been illegally introduced/stocked into California lakes twice in my lifetime, why hasn't DFG just picked a lake that won't drain into any sensitive watershed and stock them for that group of people who want to fish for 'em I'm sure there is a lake or reservoir somewhere that would serve that purpose.... I'd sure like to fish for 'em.

Hi guys,

I know a few years back some guy caught one out of Oroville as well. Of course they're not so worried over there for some reason.... big lake, more rocky unlike Davis lake..... How the pike survived the first poisoning..... who knows, but I doubt someone would restock the lake... but then again, you never know....as with any kind of "pest" control it's never 100%....there have to be some tributaries or small pockets or water out of the main lake in the area that are holding fish....

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

SullyTM Guest

Default Pike in Lake Davis

Good points Darian. A land-locked lake with no drainage would be ideal for pike. They are a very good game fish to hook in to. I can see your point(s) about protecting native species, but at what cost? Doesn't poisoning affect the entire food chain? The best solution is probably to drain the lake, try and save the "good" species and use the pike for compost. Here in the East Bay San Pablo resevior is being drained for earthquake work and I'm concerned about all of the fish and other aquatic life and whether or not the damage to the ecological chain will be damaged for years. The problem rests with the, may I call them idiots who plant non-native species for the fun of it, not realizing what the trickle-down effect will be. Thanks for the discourse.

Default Draining Lakes

Hi Sully,..... I think, with the exception of a few that come to mind, almost any reservoir that drains the east side of the Sierras into Nevada would serve the purpose of supporting a Pike fishery..... I've been told that Pike already exist in Nevada. So there shouldn't be as many pressures involved.

As for draining a lake or reservoir as opposed to Poisoning, it seems to me there's little difference in terms of impact on the body of water and its flora/fauna..... Both are bad. (Maybe draining isn't quite as bad as each reservoir has a minimum pool behind its dam. So, they are difficult to completely drain.)

I wanna fish for pike

SullyTM Guest

Default Pike in Davis Lake

Darian...There seems to be no real solution. Look at the New Zealand Mud Snail infestation. It's beginning to appear in more and more bodies of water. Pike have no real predator to fear except for eagles, osprey and the 2-legged humanoid so they usually rule the water. From an angling standpoint if you haven't fished for one give it a try if the opportunity presents itself. They are a mean looking fish and if you hook a big one...hang on! There kissin' cousin, the Musky is even bigger and badder!

Default Pike...

Well, from the responses so far, I guess none of us has caught a Pike at Lake Davis. After reading the DFG requirements after catching a Pike, I can see why they're not targeted.....

If I understand the regs correctly, a Pike caught anywhere in California must be immediately killed (no catch/release), the head must be immediately severed from the body and both preserved (frozen) until a DFG staff member picks it up.

To me, that seems a little "over the top" in terms of reactions. If DFG plans to carry out anything to eliminate the "Pike problem", I'm wondering when it's going to occur

Yeah, does seem kind of extreme to have to climb a tree and drop a big rock on it. (Recalling your catfish story... "decapitated it, perfectly." )
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

.... Catfish Murderer !! D.J.L.

Default Fish Murderer???

Is there no limit to the depths that I'll go to catch fish ....