Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sacramento Suckers

SullyTM Guest

Default Sacramento Suckers

Does anyone have any experience with Sacramento Suckers? Here in the Concord/Pleasant Hill area I fish a local creek, Walnt Creek which has a very nice Chinook Salmon run in October-December. This winter the Sacramento Suckers are spawning in good numbers. They average nearly 24 inches, are pickey about eating and give a decent fight. I'm using my own pupae creations but any knowledge is always helpful. Thanks. Thom

Default Re: Sacramento Suckers

The lower American River is loaded with suckers.

It also has the Sacramento Squawfsih or Sacramento Pike.

The suckers are on the bottom with their mouth like a vaccum clearner.

The Squawfish has a mouth a little more like a gamefish in front.

They catch lots of suckers while indicator fishing the river for steelhead with nymphs.

My first "steelhead on a fly" for a short time till I saw it roll was an ~7 pound 'gold belly' sucker at Watt Avenue about 40 years ago. It was exciting.

Picture from Klamath Resource Information System (KRIS) web site
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Suckers

Hi Sully,..... Suckers/Squawfish were one of the first fish I caught in the american after moving to Sacto. During the low water years, they could be caught drifting a bright fly (Silver or Gold Comet, etc.). Seemed like there were so many of 'em the fly couldn 't get to a Steelhead or Salmon, first.

Interesting that these fish have become elevated in importance, recently. They're certainly not a beautiful fish but..... They do fight well initially on a light outfit.

Have fun

SullyTM Guest

Default Sacramento Suckers

Darian...The SS may not be a glamour fish but they do get me out of the house for a few hours of practice. I caught 5 yesterday with my 6 wt using my own fly creations...Green Envy Clone, Crimson Beadhead and Walnut Creek Nymph and the largest was 24 inches. I'm breaking out my 30 year old 3 wt unit this weekend. After the Chinook finished spawning in mid-December I thought my season was over locally but on the way out of the creek I spotted these mini-torpedoes...Now, I'm hoping for a steelhead run...Enjoy.

Suckers have saved the day for me quite a few times . When "grab-bagging" on the A. w/ a sink tip , they are a scream ! I foul-hook a few on top of the nose , but most have eaten the fly fair . Shad flies , olive bead-head buggers , black leeches , and birdnest's have gotten most of them for me . My best was around 7 or 8 lbs. - great fighters !!
    I release all of them , the Stripers got to eat , too ! D.J.L.

Default Suckers

Hi David,..... There's that Olive Beadhead Bugger again..... I do release all of the suckers I hook (....some intentionally ). If the stripers get 'em, that's OK, too. Everything's got its own role to play. How philosophical....

Darian , you have NO IDEA how much I hate that fly - the only reason I tye it is it out-fishes everything else about 5 to 1 ..... very hard to argue with those numbers , ya know ?
    For some strange reason , I can't help feeling sorry for Suckers and Shad - I think that stupid look they always have on their little goofy fishie faces has something to do with it (anything out there look as silly , besides US ??) . See ya around , David

David, what I don't understand is WHY you hate that fly. With results like that? Based on your experience alone, I recently went out and bought all the materials for that pattern, including the #6 hooks, and I hope I have half the success you've had with it. I'll bet if more folks saw that stripe you caught on one, there'd be a run on olive crystal chenille and marabou!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Hi Mike , everyone has their "hang-ups" - mine is , I like my flies to look line SOMETHING .... You know , a Sculpin fly should look like a Sculpin , Dragonfly nymph should look like a REAL Dragonfly nymph . If I tye a Shad , well ..... it's gonna have eyes , a spot , a little stupid mouth ... you know .
    That olive bugger only suggests food , it dosen't immitate any one thing - I'm just sort of funny about that (other things , as well ....) .
    Call me crazy , I guess . David

Yeah, I know what you mean David. Among many other reasons, I like the red/white Tap's Bug 'cause it imitates traditional bass lures.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.