Thread: Another Yuba Report

Default Another Yuba Report

Was on the Yuba yesterday, large PMD hatch around 1pm and some BWO. Skwallas were around but few on the water.
    Managed three and lost two on a 18 renegade

Default Yuba follow up

Fished the lower Yuba (below Daguerre) on Sunday with our friend Dave W. from Truckee - we were hoping for steelies and started the day off swinging tips and got into a few, but the best part of the day was around noon when the BWOs started coming off, and the fish were crazy, eating every emerger within a radius of a couple of feet. They were rolling, swirling, chasing, and splashing. They were in these long (300 yards) slow, glassy runs, just going insane. Saw a pink, wispy mayfly around 2:30 and then around 3/3:30ish, saw the caddis starting to come off. Water is ultra low, so it required LONG leader (14, 15 feet to 5x).... and ultra slow wading .....

Default Another another Yuba report

I fished the Yuba with Gregg on Sunday from 12-dark. High noon brought out the mayflies. I am still not too sure which type of mayfly they are. They look like PMD's but the true "PMD" is a spring time mayfly. I guess that they could have been pale BWO's but most of the BWO's that I have seen are darker, thinner and smaller. What ever they are the trout were definitely eating them. Splashy rises here and there for about an hour. I managed to fool one larger fish near the bank but the hook pulled out before the fight even started. If I did not have my heart set on catching those fish on the top I would have swung a soft hackle pheasant tail #16. I think that a PMD cripple or a CDC floating nymph type of imitation might have worked if I brought any.

Around 4pm the skwalla stonflies came out and Gregg and I became very excited considering they were the focus of our trip.

Those sexy stoneflies make for a great winter trout fishing experience .

I had been presenting small BWO and PMD patterns with 6x tippet at the end of a 12' leader for a picky trout for about 30 minutes with no success. After casting and changing multiple flies for the picky trout I finally saw it gulp in one of those tasty skwalla stones. I was so thrilled to see that fish take the natural swkalla that did not want to waist time to change my leader. I tied my skwalla pattern onto the 6x knowing that I would have quite a battle on my hands if the fish grabbe my fly.

My third cast with a topsy turvy skwalla pattern (above) the finicky trout engulfed my fly at the end of Gregg's new Echo 7'6" 3wt rod and the fight was on! After a crazy fight I landed the fish with the help of Gregg's great netting skills

Here's a picture of the fish, not large but worth the effort especially after the bend it put into the great little 3wt.

Gregg also hooked into a strong Yuba trout using a skwalla pattern. Unfortunately after the trout smashed Greggs fly it bolted and popped him off

Overall the trip was tons of fun. I caught one fish, captured these fun pictures and Gregg got to see his first skwalla stonefly.

The water clarity is good and the bugs and fish are active.

I hope you all have fun out there soon. But leave some fish for the rest of us weekend warriors.

Sorry for the long post I love this sport too much to only write a little blurb.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Is the stonefly hatch as predictable as the BWO hatch? Probably around 4PM?

Default another yuba report

Nice report Adam. Sounds like the dry fly fishing on the yuba is starting to pick up! Pictures from the camera are turning out great. I am having a lot of fun with mine especially with the macro setting. Keep posting those cool pics, we all enjoy them!

Jason