Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stick Caddis?

Default Stick Caddis?

A while back Adam and I were fishing the Trinity and getting covered with caddis still in their little caseings. I recall seeing a recipe for a pattern to imitate this stage of development, but can't remember where I saw it. Anyone know? I just remember how realistic it looked with all the rock and sticks stuck to the case, amazing.

Default Caddis Patterns

Hi Gregg,...... For as long as I've been fishing rivers/streams (even in So-Cal), I've seen Cased Caddis patterns of all types. Some I've used and some I've tied. The cased portion of these patterns may be prepared from mixed hackle colors, trimmed close; small sticks, grains of sand and even cat litter.... all glued to the shank of a hook. Try the Peeking Caddis Pattern.....

I'm not sure which one of these patterns you're referring to but you can probably find it described in one of the books on Caddis. Gary La Fontaine authored a very good book on Caddis Flies. If what you want isn't to be found there, there're many more books on that subject by other authors, as well.

I really enjoy doing research on some of these patterns in those books. Hope you do to.

Thanks Darian. I've thought about rubbing sand and small stick pieces into the dubbing, then epoxying over it but was unsure if it would actually work. I'll definitley check the book. Have you fished the pattern at all, and if so, was it worth tying?

Default Bill's Stick Caddis

The Stick Caddis is a pattern that I created some years ago, and have modified over the years. It has been deadly wherever used (virtually all freestone streams in N. Calif.), if fished properly. It can be seen at hillsdiscountflies.com. My email address is billcarnazzo@aol.com. If you send me an email I will send you a photo and the pattern sheet with tying instructions.
    Bill Carnazzo, Spring Creek Guide Service
    5209 Crestline Drive, Foresthill CA 95631
    630 S. First St., Dunsmuir CA 96025
    (530) 367-5209 in Foresthill
    (530) 235-4048 in Dunsmuir
    bcarnazzo@ftcnet.net
    Web site: http://billcarnazzo.com/

Default Re: Bill's Stick Caddis

Bill Carnazzo emailed me this photo of his Stick Caddis.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Stick Caddis

Hello again Gregg,..... Altho I've tied/used the patterns with small pebbles, etc., glued to the shank, I wouldn't recommend using them in preference to the pattern Bill Carnazzo developed. The Stick Caddis really looks good. Haven't used that one yet, but after seeing it, I'm sure gonna give it a try....

Default Bills stick caddis

Gregg. Bill Carnazzo wtih Granite Bay flycasters has the best stick caddis I have ever used. Check out gbflycasters.org for his pattern.good tying
    sturm

Hey Bill,
    Any chance you could post that pic of Bill's stick caddis again?
    Thanks.
    patrick

Default Stick Caddis

PM,.... If you happen to have a copy of the October 2002 issue of the California Flyfisher, there is an article about his fly on page 36 and a description of the pattern on page 37..... It's a very interesting read .
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey Gregg,
    Darian's suggestions are on the money in my experience.
    Another good reference for cased caddis patterns is Caddis Super Hatches by Carl Richards and Bob Braendle. I've done really well on some of their imitations on rainbows and steelies in the 18-22 inch range (or perturbations of those ideas).
    Their still water dry patterns are to die for. Caught some of my biggest back country brookies on those patterns out of off the trail lakes, along with some phenomenal goldens.
    As Darian pointed out there are some good ideas in LaFontaine's book of course. Plus its a nice read. White markers anyone?
    -Paul