Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Fly fishing

Default Delta Bass!!!

Hi Micah,.... The delta isn't really known for producing Smallmouth.... However, it sure puts out bunches of Largemouth and Stripers; plus a lot of Sunfish.....

I could name several places where you could launch but it probably would be more fun/interesting if you were to discover them on your own. The Delta is a place of ulimited opportunites for the Bass fisherman. If you're fishing out of a yak, there are some basics the "Hairstacker" has listed in other posts on this BB. After that, all it amounts to is trying out different spots.

You haven't mentioned where you live, but the Delta is big enough to touch almost every city and town within 60 miles of Sacramento. If you're inexperienced at handling tidal currents or highwater flows, it might be in your best interests to start by picking some slack or slow water sloughs . Then graduate to increased current when you're comfortable .

One of the best maps I've found for the Delta is a commercial one available from Kiene's, most tackle or fly shops and titled, The Delta. It's water proof/plastic and lists a lot of info you're gonna need. Lastly, I'd recommend keeping a log so you can recall where you were last succesfull and when, etc.

Good luck and tight lines....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

For me it would probably be a good triathalon sport paddle-fish-swim.....paddle-fish-swim. But would still like to try it.

Franks Track. Sugar barge. it's about $12 to launch.
    Why do I paddle a kayak instead of a float tube or a pontoon boat. I like seeing where I'm going not where I've been.
    Paddle safe and Wrap'em Tight
    Rickey Noel Mitchell
    http://www.paddleandflies.com

$12 to launch a kayak? I always just climb down the side of a levee somewhere and launch for free.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I drive to Franks Track from Fresno a few times a year. At Beacon's Harbor they'll bring a tractor out to the parking lot and tow my trailer to the launch and then bring it back when I come back in. My truck is safe in their parking lot while I'm fishing. The twelve $ covers camping too.
    It's worth it to me.
    Why do I paddle a kayak instead of a float tube or a pontoon boat. I like seeing where I'm going not where I've been.
    Rickey Noel Mitchell

i have been looking for a good stable kayak for fly fishing rivers and lakes sounds like you may know where and what type to but could you reply. nick

I would try the ws Ride , It was my favorite river yak for a number of years-very stable or the a new yak by emotion called the mojo. Try California canoe and kayaks on Hazel street by Lake Naotma or Adventures sports on watts.
    Rickey Noel Mitchell

Default Kayaks....

Nick,.... You should check out the new sit-on 'yaks by Hobie. You can choose to peddle by using your legs or paddle in the traditonal metho. It gives you the option to free up your hands while moving from one location to another or all together....

They can be seen at California Canoe and Kayaks, as well as other brands.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Kayaks....

Nick,.... You should check out the new sit-on 'yaks by Hobie. You can choose to peddle by using your legs or paddle in the traditonal metho. It gives you the option to free up your hands while moving from one location to another or all together....

Author unknown

Default Kayaks....

Author unknown