Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kayak Fly fishing

Default Kayak Fly fishing

Nowdays on the water there’s a different type of angler on the water fishing from a craft that requires no motor of any kind just paddle power. Those anglers are kayakfishermen, fishing in all waters--saltwater, fresh water, rivers, bays and the surf--places where no other water craft could, or should, go, paddling a craft used for survival by the Inuit people in the Arctic waters of the far North, as far back as 11,000 years ago. Today--a few thousand others and myself are casting our lines from kayaks, a craft once rigged properly along with practiced skills will enable a flyfishers to cast their flies in all waters.
    Living in the center of California, some of the best fishing waters in the country are only hours away. An hour and a half drive there’s The San Luis Reservoir and O’Neill Forebay where many world record stripers have been caugh on the fly. Drive another hour and a half and there’s the Pacific Ocean, with bays, kelp beds and surfs just waiting with saltwater flyfishing adventures. The Sacramento and American Rivers with steelhead, salmon, rainbow and brown trout, as well as the California Delta all--only a few hours away. My home waters the San Joaquin and the Kings Rivers as well as ten different lakes within a hour away.
    A kayak can loaded up and be ready to go in twenty minutes, once you reach your fishing destination you can be on the water ready to cast in thirty minutes.
    Why do I paddle a kayak instead of a float tube or a pontoon boat. I like seeing where I'm going not where I've been.
    Paddle safe and Wrap'em Tight
    Rickey Noel Mitchell
    http://www.paddleandflies.com

Hi Rickey!

Yep, I'm one of those "few thousand others" you mentioned. This past year, I did most of my fly fishing out of an inflatable kayak I kept stored in the trunk of my car, along with the paddle, manual double-action pump, and life vest. Thing literally took less than 5 minutes to fully inflate and was always on the water in less than 15 minutes total (excluding driving time, of course). It enabled me to get right there on the water where the fish are and, like you mentioned, it enabled me to flyfish secluded backwaters that motored boats can't get to. Great for getting away from the crowds and enjoying privacy, not to mention relaxation. One of the best purchases I ever made for flyfishing my homewater, the California Delta.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Kayaks are becoming more popular every year for fly fishing.

Some do fly fish out of them and some use them just for transportation.

Ricky Noel Mitchell will have some different fishing kayaks for you to inspect at our Kiene's Expo on April 23, 2005, Saturday.

Ricky's web site:

http://www.paddleandflies.com/

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Sea Kayak's

Hello evryone,..... On my trip to Esat Cape, I spent an enjoyable AM on a sit-on-top model paddling over a reef about 100 yds off the surf line. It was a great workout. Took my fly rod out, cast for awhile and trolled for awhile. These Kayaks were not well maintained and had no rod holders or tethers for paddles or equipment. Not sure what I would've done if something big took my fly. Down there, the water is so warm that even in the early AM, getting wet is enjoyable.

Haven't done any Kayaking up here but am interested. Saw some good models at the Sacto ISE today. Gonna have to check 'em out at Bill's Expo. Who knows.......

Default Kayak & Marlin meet.......

I guess you just hang on and pray????????

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Default Kayak/Canoe/Inflatables web links

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Tomorrow I'm trading a camera for A Heritage Kayak Featherlite.
    I would like to pull it up the Yuba river from the bridge . I saw a young man do this 2 years ago. All the areas like the foundation hole that you can not walk past with out trespassing you can paddle around or cross the river. Plus above the Davis property you could fish out of the Kayak .At the end of the day you drift back to you car.
    Can't wait untill spring to fish Caples lake, Red Lake .

Rob

Rob, good for you! You're gonna love it. It will take a little getting used to at first, handling the kayak and fly fishing at the same time. No question, you'll get the hang of it though, so stick with it. As you're already figuring out, it will open entire new venues of available water to fish. Very portable, yet extends your range. . . . At some point, you will find it absolutely indispensable and as essential a piece of equipment as waders or a belly boat. Congratulations!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Thank Mike.
    I hope to take it out in lake Natoma saturday.

Rob.

Default Kayaks!!!

Bill,.... In your post with the photo of the person in a sit-on-top Kayak in the clear water...... If you look just to the right and below, under the surface, it appears that there is a silhouette of a large fish there (Billfish ). It's faint, but there

Just imagine hooking up on a Sailfish or Marlin in that Kayak