Thread: Baja Surf flies

Default Baja Surf flies

Hello everyone,..... Last June was my first experience in the surf at East Cape, Baja..... I tied flies for surf, in-shore and a few off-shore. No problems with the in-shore/offshore flies.

The surf flies were assorted colors/patterns (surf candies, see thru deceivers, Sea Habits, etc. and differing profiles). All of the surf flies ranged in size from 3" to 4" in length.....

Met a local who told me my flies were too long. They should've been smaller..... After researching everything I could find on the subject, I thought those lengths were fine. Anybody out there got some ideas on this

Darian,

You migth try to find Gary Graham, owner of Baja On The Fly, at one of the sport shows. He showed me his favorite surf fly a few years back and it was about 2.5" long on a #2 hook. It was just some white fish fur/angel hair. Very small and sparce.

I just found this picture on Gary's web site:

http://secure-shopping-cart.com/baja...rt/cart18.html

PS: We have 'hooked' 30# Trevally wading at Christmas Island on a #4 Bonefish fly.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Beach Flies

Here is a link to the flies that we use on the beach.

http://www.bajafly.com/Beachfly.htm

The recipes are there, as well and if you have any questions email me at bajafly@bajafly.com or post here

Gary
    When you are young, you believe that you are blazing a new trail. Older, you realize that it was a beaten track.

Darian-

I am a VERY novice saltwater caster, but I do have experience fishing from the beach and inshore in Puerto Vallarta, MX so I'm sure we've probably shared species. I read a similar article (which seemed to encourage shortening flies) before heading down to Mexico. In many situations I would cut quite a bit off the end of each fly and I seemed to get more hooksets, which probably just had to do with the fish grabbing more hook, and not just bucktail or other material. Most of the baitfish we netted were actually smaller than the flies we were using, but I'm not sure if it was a visual thing for the fish, or just more hook availiable to grab. All I know is that it is all about blue surf candies! I only had one with me and it is all they seemed to want!

Default Baja Beach Patterns

Hi Darian,

I agree with the recommendations being made. Shorter works better for all our trips down to the Peninsula beaches. Maximum length we work with is about 2.5 inches. Most of the streamers are 2 inches or less. Favorite patterns include:

1. ALF Sardina #1/0 and #2

2. Popovics Jiggy #2 and #4

3. Flashtail Clouser Tan over White, or Olive over White #2

4. Small Poppers #1/0 and #2

5. Brown Shrimp #2 and #4

One tip to think about... downsizing doesn't always mean hook size, it can be simply removing some materilas or tying a pattern "small." In fact, I prefer to use a slightly larger hook (or one with a large gape design) for most of my beach flies in Baja. I often use the Tiemco 8089 NP or Trey Combs Big Game designs.

The surf down south is a great game. Enjoy!
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Default Squid Pattern

Has anyone used a squid pattern, with any success, in the surf in Baja?? If so, please provide a general description of the pattern....

Thanks

Squid in the surf doesn't really make much sense. But... for working open waters, both nearshore and offshore, they are excellent producers.
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Same Ken said. I tried squid both from the beach and inshore with no success. I think it may be best suited for deep water game? It is a cool fly to strip through the water though!