Thread: The Joys of Float Tubing ......

Default The Joys of Float Tubing ......

Why do I love float tubing ?? I DON'T - I float tube 'cause it's better than swimming . Boats are nice , but they are a pain in the nevermind to use by yourself , plus they cost a lot to run/maintain/launch . Float tubin' keeps me in tune with nature and basic human emotions ... fear , for example . Ever try to cross the arm @ rattlesnake bar on Folsom in July ??? That's right ! You haven't - it is big-time SCAREY to be a target for every yahoo in a skiboat/Bassboat/jetski on the lake . It's like being a pylon at an air race . Another emotion is pride .... 31 degrees out , blowin' wind , whitecaps , ALL of your friends are at home ... nice and cozy . Where are you ? That's right !! Freezing on a lake somewhere ! As you bob and drift , you think "Yea... this is the life !! Everybody's missin' out - they are a bunch of sissys for not goin' out today !" Remember that scene from Titanic ? The one where the little fella turns into an ice cube ? No wonder pride is one of the 7 deadly sins ....

So .... why Float tube ? LOTS of good reasons ! Tubin' is a FANTASTIC workout ! If you break the "golden rule"(ALLWAYS launch INTO the wind) you will work-out all of your muscles below the neck and probably grow some new ones in places you didn't have them before . Your flycasting will improve .... If you want the fly anywhere past 20 feet , you will HAVE to become a better caster (to that end , you'll learn the meaning of the term "water-haul" ....) . Self-control is another reason to F.T. -when you're quietly finning around , shooting your Bass-bugs to cover , and accidently back in into a flooded willow branch that runs into your shorts and up your backside - you will learn NOT to scream out loud (VERY embarrassing) .
    The last reason is .... it's a pretty cool way to spend a day catching a fish or two !!! Have fun , David

Default Float Tubing

Hi David,..... Apt descriptions all. I have a question, though: What about "shrinkage"

And here I had thought float tubin' was like fishin' out of an easy chair...
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Float tubing.................

We carried the "Tucker Duck and Rubber Company" heavy canvas covered float tube in the '60s in the sporting goods stores I worked in. It was in Fort Smith, Arkansas.

They came in 16" and 20" models. They were not big enough for a 200#er. That was all that was made then.

FFF History of Float Tubing web page:

http://www.fedflyfishers.org/IFFC-Floatubes.htm

Float Tube Fly Fishing web site:

http://www.floattubefisherman.com/ge...oat_tubing.php

Picture courtesy of FTFF
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hmmmmmm .... Shrinkage ... Nope , never worry about it - I'm married so that covers the emasculation part . By the way , My wife LOVES to tube , darn near the only way I can get her to go out with me anymore . D.J.L.

Default Old float tube

Great picture of the old school flooat tube Bill. I have never seen an old float tube like that before.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I can almost smell the mildew on that canvas duck , do the vets (old guys) agree ?? D.J.L.