Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alevin Pattern

Hi folks,
    Here's a little Alevin pattern that's been a ton of fun this past year. I hope it brings you many fine memories on the water.

Hook: Wide Gape Scud (light wire or heavy, I use both) #10 & #8
    Thread: Tan or gold to match body color (8/0)
    Egg sac: Glo Bug Yarn, Alaska Roe
    Body: Furled Antron, tan or gold
    Optics: Mono eyes, x-small, black

I created the design after a conversation with Mike Bias. We were looking for something that offered a softer feel, some movement, and slim profile. It's been productive in the Northwest and here in California.

I'll be tying it at the ISE Show this weekend in Sacramento, and again at the ISE San Mateo show the first week of Feb.
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Default Hanleys' Furled Alevin

It's my opinion that Ken's Alevin is the prototypical Nor Cal Alevin pattern imitation. There are other notables such as; Tim Fox's - TFS Alevin in true "Fox Poopah style" form and also Mercer's Sac Fry - Alevin that is a Lower Sac pattern staple.

For even more information on Ken's pattern, it was featured recently in an edition of Western Outdoors magazine in the John McKim "Fly Ideas" column. John's column is one of the best kept secrets in fly tying publication. Fly tiers are missing something if you do not regulary see the column. Quality prints are available of all column pattern contributions @ johnmckim.com. I only provide as a matter of education and knowledge base, no solicitation is implied (Bill, Adam).

Best Regards,

Ken Miller

So Cal