Thread: Tarpon

Default Tarpon

I caught my first Tarpon this past July. It weighed all of 2lbs, if not less. I loved my first saltwater fly fishing trip. The baby tarpon were more willing to grab my fly than the giant adults. We saw huge Tarpon off of the shores of Isla Holbox and even a coulpe bikini clad Latin Women on the beach in front of our hotel. The coconuts were huge, the palm trees were also endowed.

I loved my trip to Isla Holbox for the Tarpon. I also caught my first Snook. Funny enough, I caught the Snook and hooked many baby Tarpon on a Wooly Bugger. I tied and brought some white and brown size #4 buggers tied on TMC 811S hooks with weed guards to prove to myself and customers how versitile the wooly bugger can be.

I learned many things that trip, including the fact that baby tarpon are much easier to hook than land. Those leaping baby silver kings thrash, jump and go crazy once hooked!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Hi Adam , I don't know how ANYONE can land those 120-200 lb. Tarpon on flies . I would think the little ones are better for no other reason than that ya cry less when they fall off ....
    What did you think of the Snook ?? David

DJL, the snook was also very small, near 14". But it was still my first snook. I did hook a much larger one when it ambushed my fly from the mangroves. It flipped out and threw the hook before I knew it but I still got a chance to feel its power, very exciting.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member