Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tackle for American river Stripers ...

Hi Mike , thanks for the pat BUT I'm not that good ... I just think most don't know the "limits" of their gear . If you take a look at the guys that used to catch 150 or so BIG Steelhead (fish that tax a reel pretty well) a year on the Russian in the 1950s .... They used Medalists and Hardys( both no-drag , stamped reels) , caught the hell out of the fish , and never knew the difference . There is NOTHING WRONG with using , say , an Abel reel - fine , trouble-free piece of gear . I just can't get over the propaganda that says you NEED a $400. reel to catch a fish !! I think EVERYONE should try fly fishing , but most that haven't likely have seen the price of fly gear and thought "no way ..." .

Use what you have and learn - David

Default Tried & True - Used Gear

Gents,
    David's philosophy rings true with me ("I think EVERYONE should try fly fishing , but most that haven't likely have seen the price of fly gear and thought "no way ..." ).

I'm on the lower end of the wage scale for the LA area (upper scale for the rest of the country ) and pricing would have been restricting for my fly fishing if not for the great deals I've found on older/used gear ie. the nearly "new" Pfleuger Purist and 1595 (both for $37 ) for my spring striper set up.
    My partner and I find joy in bringing gear back to life and fishing with it and best of all I don't have to baby the gear or cry when something breaks like the 8" tip that recently broke when I raised the window on the passenger side without checking if the tip was clear. Oh well, it served its life by bringing to hand at least 250 fish and treked on 5 rivers throughout CA and NV in the past 2 years and there are still 3 other $14 graphite rods ready to be its replacement.

The joy imho is the fishing and fellowship with friends (and strangers) when on the water.

So, I would highly recommend those of you looking for new gear go to Bill Kiene's Shop to buy your gear 'cause I've been in his shop. He is a great guy (met him once- very knowledgeable and willing to share the knowledge) and his gear selection is superb. But when you are ready to upgrade, please call me because I know of a buyer-personally .
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Default High End Reels???

David,.... Is that Bill I hear going, "Sshhhh" in the background :P :P :P

Darian , Bill is watching these conversations and thinking "What a cool board I have now" - I'd put money on it .

When I started (around 1994-95) , I had been spinfishing since I was three - I knew what I was doing as far as light tackle work . In the early 90s , I saw a catalog from the fly shop in Redding( I like to look at the pictures :P ) , and in it I saw the price of the new Sage rods .....

And I thought that you'd have to be rich or be a dumb-ass to drop three bills on a rod .

Simple fact of life , spin guys spend too little on stuff and fly guys spend too much . I just remember being SHOCKED by the prices ! Now , I've fished the top AND the bottom of the line and I can see the difference . Those old Fenwick glass rods and clunky , beat-up Medalist reels will STILL beat the snot out of ANYTHING w/ fins here in freshwater . Look at it this way - take a weekender handy man and a master woodworker , give 'em both the same tools and materials and let them build ....

You know where this is going .... David
    PS- Lest anyone think I aspire to or put myself in the "Master Woodworker" class or am something special , you are wrong . I just fish a hell of a lot and have had plenty of time to sort this subject out .... fishing 100-150 days a year will do wonders for your perspective and opinions . Go get 'em !

Yeah, David's philosophy rings pretty true for me too. I fondly remember my first fly rod I bought around 1981 or so -- a 8 1/2 foot 7wt. Garcia fiberglass. Don't remember where I bought it but I got the Pflueger Medalist 1494 reel and a DT7F fly line for it at Longs Drugstore. Taught myself how to cast with it and had a BLAST catching trout and bass with it at Berryessa. Don't recall every feeling like I needed something better, although I remember thinking the rod was a little slow for tossing bass bugs.... I treasured that outfit, being real careful with it, as if it were worth a fortune. Still have it, and it's still in excellent condition.

Since then, I've upgraded my bass fishing to an Okuma Sierra 5/6 reel, ha, although I do have a few Orvis/Teton reels laying around here. That Okuma is more than sufficient, though, and I never worried too much about banging it on something, although I never could get used to its silent retrieve. That's one thing I like about my Orvis Battenkill -- it clicks on the retrieve and screams when line is taken.

I haven't had any luck finding $14 graphite rods -- I've had to spend at least $26 for mine, ha. Got to admit, though, those high-end rods sure are pretty. Lately, I've been thinking I need to save up for one of those Redington CPS rods I've been reading rave reviews about. Maybe a 9 or 10' 7wt. Not exactly high-end for most but it would be for me.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I probably had 80 FF days last year but still too new (2years) to this sport to truly know the differnce between a $400 and a $15.98 rod or reel.

Actually, I found 3 graphite rods (8.5' 5-6# at $5 each ) at a sporting goods store dropping their FF line and 2 rods (9' 6-7# at $15.98 each not $14 as previously mentioned) at another store.

Can't give out the store names or else BK might ban me from his sight . They're all gone by now anyway.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Hi guys , also consider different tools for different jobs . My Sage RPLX 7 wt. gets the nod in a long-throw/sinking line situation , my Fenwick Eagle 7 wt. is better close in .... Of course working on becoming a GREAT caster will change choices you make . I don't think many people cast on the level they would like to - I know I don't . In fact , I think I will work harder on becoming a better caster this season .

What was the subject again ??

David