Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tackle for American river Stripers ...

Default Tackle for American river Stripers ...

Hello all !
    Let's get this board jumpin' . What do you use as your main Striper outfit ?I mostly use a 7 wt. Sage RPLX and a Teton 7LA reel , Shorter leaders than most (6 to 9 feet) , and light tippets (8 and 10 lb. fluro) . For backup (or when I get spanked by a PIG) , the same rod in 10 wt. , and 9-11 reel w/ 15 lb. Maxima . The first hookup of 2004 was the most violent slugfest I've ever had ... wound up losing a large Stripe when the EC413 hook opened up after 10 minutes !! What are your favorite toys (tools ...) ???

Default Striper Gear

Hello again David,..... I've been using a 9', 9wt Sage rplx (older) with a Redington AL 9/10 reel; Lined with LC13 or T14 and 30# mono running line or rio floating running line. My leaders are 7 1/2' tapered down to about 17# or 18# with a Flouro tippet of 15# to 17#. Flies are clousers or half & Half's in chartreuse/white. I carry others in different colors but don't use 'em much.

I'm thinking about developing a pattern that would imitate Lamprey in the American. Found descriptions of stages in one of the Audubon Societies field guides on north American fish. Looks like this one could be 8" to 10" in length...... Got the idea from one of the owners of the now defunct Bob's Fly Shop in Yuba City. He had a pattern that one of his relatives used in the lower Yuba. I'll keep you posted on the results.

Bill Kiene Guest

Default Striper tackle

I see most using 9' #7, 8 and 9 weight rods for stripers in Nor Cal.

The late Dave Howard (local striper expert) used a 6 weight at times.

I know Andy Guibord was using a 10 weight for a while till his body started to complain.

Lots are using the new Airflo XT intermediate running line and 26-30 feet of Cortland LC-13 lead core line. It cuts through the wind and sinks real fast.

Many use one of the "Teeny Type" sinktips that come in a 24'-30' extra fast sinking tip/head section.

Lots are using FC tippet in the clear water in rivers like Lower American and some reservoirs. A longer leader might be good there too.

Be sure to pinch down the barbs on those big flies.

I do see that the Chartruse & white Clouser minnow is the top pick but many flies will work.

I use my TFO TICR 9' 8wt rod with a Waterwoks ULA Force 3X reel and many different lines. I like the TICR for an inexpencive powerful rod. I would have purchased a new SAGE XI2 9' 8wt but my gimpy defective wrist can feel pretty lousy after a day full of casting large streamers with heavy heads for those stripers.

I like many different lines for striper fishing; Streamer Express from Scientific Anglers-very slick intermediate sinking running line and a 30' high density fast sinking head, Rio striper line - int running line and a fast 26' head, NEW Airflo 40+ cold water striper line - low stretch int. run line and super fast sinking head. I also really like the new Airflo intermediate polyshoot XT running line. Bye far the nicest running line that I have used. The Polyshoot XT is super slick like all Airflo llines, it sinks and vary rarely coils or tangles.

I also try to bring a boga grip with me. It keeps me and my fishing buddies honest!

p.s. I like these funny like Emoticons
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

andy guibord Guest

I sugest using a hard hat and tiger balm for stripers. Last summer I drove a costumer to the hospital for the removal of a clouser stuck in his neck. Once I did have a 3/0 hook straightened out by an American River striper.

Default Pinch down the barbs

Like I always recomend, pinch down or grind off those barbs.

It can be very dangerous.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Randy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by andy guibord
    I sugest using a hard hat and tiger balm for stripers. Last summer I drove a costumer to the hospital for the removal of a clouser stuck in his neck. Once I did have a 3/0 hook straightened out by an American River striper.
    ---------Andy why didnt you keep your backcast up?--------

Randy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Randy
    Quote Originally Posted by andy guibord
    ---------Andy why didnt you keep your backcast up?--------
    Just kidding Andy I did'nt really think you did it.

Default Setting up for Stripers

Gents,
    I am setting up a rod for my first attempt at stripers this spring. I've gotten an 8/9wt set up with w WF9F/S Rocket taper (10ft type-6 and 30 yds running). I understand that stripers often give you the opportunity to visit the backing on your reels (something I've yet to experience ). So with nearly 100 yrds of fly line/leader, do I need anymore than the 100 yds-20lbs of dacron? Dang optomistic aren't I ?
    Wed. Caster
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Hey there , WC .... If you hook anything that runs 100 yards without stopping , I sure would like to be there !!
    I've taken a mid-40 , a low 30 , and a few over 20 lbs. - they fight like mad , but don't go very far .
    Now that I've told ya this , your first one is going to run to Rio Vista . Don't worry , you'll do fine . David PS- Mind your knots !!