Thread: Truckee River at Hirschdale - Beware

Default Truckee River at Hirschdale - Beware

I assume most everyone is aware of the situation surrounding the new landowner of property on the Truckee River around Hirschdale. This was formerly a very popular area to fly fish on the Truckee River. This property, under previous ownership, allowed open trespassing on the property. When it was purchased a couple of years back by Randy Metzger, trespassing was no longer allowed. Signs announce this and it is vigorously enforced by the owner. There have been numerous confrontations while enforcing their legal property rights.

I read where in the past few days, a youngster had legally accessed the river and was fly fishing on what he understood to be under the median high water mark. He came under gunfire from what was assumed to be a representative of the property owner!!!! Apparently, he swam and hightailed out and called Nevada County Sheriffs, who responded. The sheriffs saddled up with AR-15’s and assisted the kid in retrieving his abandoned fly rod. Apparently, that was the end of it as they told the kid that they would be unable to build a case.

So, apparently, this situation continues to escalate. Be very careful out there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0017.jpeg 
Views:	142 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	19857

Name:	IMG_0016.jpeg 
Views:	127 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	19858
    Last edited by yubaman; 04-13-2024 at 09:12 AM.

The Nevada County Sheriff may not know the laws regarding this (or don't want to go through the effort). I'd recommend the kid calling CalTip and getting in touch with a warden. They take these types of actions very seriously as Fish and Game code is pretty clear about this subject. If this behavior continues, I'm sure one of the non-profits (CalTrout, Trout Unlimited, American Whitewater) would love to take up a case against this individual. They are all firm defenders of public access rights.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Issac Asimov

Spite of being a private property the people may have a right to access due to the fact that access was granted previously and for a time of over five years. There was even a parking space right after the bridge. It is true that California is all about to protect access rights to rivers and coasts. https://www.slc.ca.gov/wp-content/up...ccessGuide.pdf. All of this is clearly stated and explained on page 27 and yes. Caltrout, trout unlimited and American whitewater should take to this property owner.

I know there have been a couple of meetings two years ago with the property owners rep, fly fishermen and someone from local government up there to attempt some sort of resolution. The property owner made it clear that he would be enforcing the trespassing. I have seen his signs, and I can say that they are very clear on this.

There are a couple of ways to legally access the river down there. I have done this myself without a problem. I understand that the problems are occurring when the property owner’s caretaker believes that someone has come onto their property from the river. I know Tahoe Truckee Fly Fishers have been involved with this to some degree.

Nevada County has set up a little info and updates page about the situation.

https://www.nevadacountyca.gov/3342/...reation-Access

They included a map of some new legal parking areas on Hirsh.

https://www.nevadacountyca.gov/Docum...Hirschdale-Map

Looking at OnX maps, as far as I can tell you could park in the above parking and walk down the train tracks to get in the river on the train track property. I would certainly have OnX or another property line map to make sure I steered clear from the private or stay in the water the whole time.

Name:	hirsh.PNG 
Views:	72 
Size:	967.1 KB 
ID:	19869

I guess it might be contingent on how rich, how important, and how powerful the landowner is.

It would be nice to have laminated copies of the laws in California as far as stream, river, and beach access.

Forty years ago everyone drove their vehicles across the river into Hirschdale community and fished there.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hey Billy - Opening Day 49 years ago you, Don Rotsma, and I did just that! Best, Bob

Jason,

Thanks for that information. It doesn’t seem to clarify a whole bunch, but gives us a good starting point for information. It was good to read and understand how much involvement there has been in this process thus far.

Bob