Thread: CA DFW recommends a closure for Ocean Salmon fishing 2024

Default CA DFW recommends a closure for Ocean Salmon fishing 2024

CDFW have stated that they are closing the Salmon fishing for 2024. After pouring over the data and models at the current PFMC meeting being held in Seattle, the California Dept. of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) and Director Chuck Bonham recommended the Council close ocean salmon fisheries on the California coast to minimize impacts to Sacramento and Klamath origin Chinook salmon stocks.

In ocean fisheries South of Cape Falcon or inland in the Central Valley, returns of Sacramento River fall-run Chinook salmon are projected to be 213,600, which is slightly above the 2024 conservation objective and guidance provided by National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) of 180,000 salmon. However, this is still well below the historic average.

Still to be determined: The fate of the inland Central Valley fall Chinook fishery and the Klamath River fall and spring-run Chinook seasons. At the April 17-18 California Fish and Game Commission meeting, season proposals will be heard from California Fish and Wildlife staff. These proposals will be decided upon at the May 15 California Fish and Game Commission meeting.

I would consider that it is highly likely we will have a closed season for Salmon again this year.

Salmon have too many enemies.

Dams, logging, AG, development, bad runoff, and commercial fishing in the ocean and up the rivers by Indigenous folks.

One area we don't talk about much is the hundreds of huge Asian protein-gathering factory ships all over the World's oceans.

This new trend of dam removals, worldwide, might save many anadromous species.

One thing to remember is the CF&W does not have the final say in funding for projects to help the salmon.

Water and salmon have been a big political nightmare in California for over 100 years.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by tcorfey View Post
    Still to be determined: The fate of the inland Central Valley fall Chinook fishery and the Klamath River fall and spring-run Chinook seasons. At the April 17-18 California Fish and Game Commission meeting, season proposals will be heard from California Fish and Wildlife staff. These proposals will be decided upon at the May 15 California Fish and Game Commission meeting.

I would consider that it is highly likely we will have a closed season for Salmon again this year.
    Interestingly, the there are "surplus" fish available in the Klamath-Trinity basin. There is still a possibility for an in-river fishery for both spring and fall-run Chinook in the Trinity. I know the Trinity County supervisors are planning to petition CDFW to open both fisheries, even in a limited nature. I'm not a fishery manager but I do think the population could sustain the harvest of a couple thousand fish.

I agree with you though in that CDFW will likely close the in-river fishery as well.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Issac Asimov