Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burney area report

Default Burney area report

I was up the last couple of days and fished Pit River and Hat Creek. In all of my years, had never fished either water! We hit Hat Creek on Tuesday, fishing was OK. There were sporadic bug hatches here and there in the morning. There were rising fish in areas, but far from anything prolific. We could not have had much better weather, and no wind. We ran down to Powerhouse 2 riffle in the evening, but it was stacked up with fishermen, so it was a quick drive by.

Hit the Pit on Wednesday. Flows in some of the stretches are lethal and unfishable. With high water up in the bushes, moving around was an even bigger pain in the ass. My buddy did AOK on his Euro rig, me not so much nymphing. High, fast water is the word. It was definitely a good test for my knee 3 month old knee from replacement surgery. I am not sure my steering wheel will be headed for the Pit anytime soon though😂😂😂.

That’s a quick report.

Maybe wait till late May or June.

Good report.

Did you camp or stay somewhere?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Burney Motel. Always important to be close to cold draft beer, a warm shower and cozy bed at my age.

Quote Originally Posted by yubaman View Post
    Burney Motel. Always important to be close to cold draft beer, a warm shower and cozy bed at my age.
    Impressive you can do that 3 months post knee replacement !

Had a few stays at Burney Hotel, always enjoyed that area. Combo with the Fall River can. 3 fun too

I've stayed there many times. I remember when my kids were small there use to be a hamburger joint called Wiggy's. I'm sure it doesn't exist anymore.
    Jay Murakoshi

I actually think Wiggy’s was still there! McDonalds however, closed! The knee held up well thank God.

Alpine drive-in is the place for burgers and excellent milkshakes in town, and the Outpost for dinner! I really like it up there...

We ate at the Outpost. Decent steaks and a very good selection of beer on tap.

My friend who lives in Johnson city said Wiggy's closed down years ago. Another business came in but wasn't as good as wiggy's. One of my son's was by the house a few days ago and asked me do I remember wiggy's.
    I spent three weeks of my vacation there at a PG&E cabin up above lake Britton. I tied flies for the Hat Creek fly shop and Spring Creek anglers. Fished in the morning tied flies when I got back and delivered them in the afternoon right before I headed to Hat Creek. I met Andy Burk and Jeff Yamagata at Spring Creek Anglers. Jeff Yamagata and his dad open a shop in Oakland called A1 fish.
    What great memories
    Jay Murakoshi

Is the Outpost at the 4 corners... Hwy 89 and Hwy 299. One year, when we were there, the restaurant burnt down. They must've of rebuilt a new one. They had fantastic dinners. Been thinking about taking a trip this year back to the old stomping grounds.
    Jay Murakoshi