Thread: The Klamath River could become what it once was a hundred years ago.

Default The Klamath River could become what it once was a hundred years ago.

This is the most exciting information I have heard about the Klamath River dam removals.

This is an email I just received from an old friend who is a veteran in the fisheries in California.

"The removal of the four dams on the Klamath restores access to 400+ miles of stream habitat. I think much of that is actually tributary streams. Steelhead are tributary spawners and can do nursery rearing (as fry) in some surprisingly small creeks. So this dam removal may bode especially well for wild steelhead. So cross your fingers Bill!!!"
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I am not so sure the dams being removed are going to have the affect that people are hoping for. You just do not dump the kind of debris and sediment in the water and expect things to go back to some natural state in a very long time. I have fished the Klamath below Irongate. It was a very vibrant fishery. It will not be vibrant for many many years.
    I recently read where the primary contractor performing the major portion of the work has pulled off the job. The concerns are that there will be catastrophic consequences involved in the removal of the Irongate dam and that they cannot maintain insurance coverage because of the high risk assessment placed on the project. So I am not so sure this was the best thing to remove all four dams in one feld swoop. And I guess I will not be planning on fishing the Klamath in this lifetime....... Maybe the next!

Quote Originally Posted by trinitymw View Post
    I recently read where the primary contractor performing the major portion of the work has pulled off the job. The concerns are that there will be catastrophic consequences involved in the removal of the Irongate dam and that they cannot maintain insurance coverage because of the high risk assessment placed on the project.
    This is completely false. It was written by a guy who loves spreading misinformation and has been a very vocal opponent for a long, long time. KRRC directly addressed these rumors today in a statement. Dam removal is still on schedule and the dams are expected to be completely removed by the end of summer.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Issac Asimov

It might take 10, 20 or even 30 years but there is no way this river will not be a great fishery, once again.

If you are paying attention, they are removing hundreds of dams now, worldwide, and following up with stream restorations.

This is the most exciting thing I have seen in my lifetime to save all the wonderful rivers of the World.

You can still fish the Trinity, Rogue, Umpqua, Deschutes, Grand Ronde, Jon Day and others in the Fall.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........