Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jeff’s 2024 AR Shad Reports

Quote Originally Posted by mogaru View Post
    the more gravel and sand the froggier the water. Many fast water runs have been filled up with gravel.
    Yep, the 13 gravel augmentation projects over the last 15.5 years was destructive enough but now, it is greatly compounded (especially from Watt down) with the levee expansion project. The river has become wider, shallower and slower in nearly every riffle or run.

Still no shad for me and I’ve been trying. Got a confirmed report from a friend that he caught a big male on the A. this past weekend. They will be here any day now!

Did a scouting float mid-river with Tyler Immer this morning. Tyler has a real job as an electrician but does occasionally guide. He has a roomy Clackacraft Eddy 360. We didn’t find any shad but I think they will be in next week especially when the air temps warm up.

Over the years have you noticed the correlation of water temp to their abundance. The sac river right now is about 65 deg. the American is 54. I read they migrate and spawn in the 60-65+ range. 54 isn’t “wet wade” temp IMO that I have done some years.

Ooh, a good point! A quick check online has the US Fish & Wildlife Service saying that peak spawning temperature is 63.5 F, just like you say. Considering how cold it is now in the river...

One thing I noticed over the years is that the bite was better during rainy days. I didn't know the water temps. in the rivers at those times, though. I'm bummed I won't be able to get out on Saturday and check for myself.

Took the mini out today but didn’t get anything. Ran into Don Morris in his canoe and he told me he found a small pod and got a couple before some stripers broke the party up a few days ago.

Mark Chops Koehn hooked 3 yesterday but didn’t land any (2 broke off and one LDRed). Looks like they’re starting to trickle in!