Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff’s 2024 AR Shad Reports

Yes, over the past 60 years, I have noticed lots of changes.

My parents used to drop me off at Watt Avenue when I was 16 and that was 63 years ago.

Then I worked my entire adult life in the fishing tackle business within a few miles of that wonderful river.

I remember one winter when it was flowing, 130,000 cfs, right over the entire top of Nimbus Dam.

In the Spring the entire river was flat as a pancake with no deep runs.

The rocks were as clean as a newborn baby. Many of the willows were gone too.

During a bad long draught, maybe the late 1970s, the river below Watt was full of low aquatic weeds.

The Squawfish came up into the lower American River from the Sacramento River because it was so warm.

Two veteran local guide friends of mine think the Lower American River is empty?

The predictions are that we should have a good Shad run in the Sacramento, Feather, Yuba, and American Rivers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

They should be showing up in the american any day now since they're in the river system

50 years ago, old timers would go out at night in small outboard boats in the Spring for Shad.

They would put their outboard motors in the up position, just so the propeller was on the surface, running.

The Shad would come up into the commotion made by the propeller and then they would net them.

There was a place down the Sacramento River below town that smoked Shad.

You could take your freshly caught Shad there and trade them 2 or 3 for one that was smoked.

About 50 years ago the California Fly Fishermen Unlimited would have a yearly Shad outing at Goethe Park.

They had smoked Shad and beer at the old wooden picnic tables on a Saturday.

You have to be pretty old to know this stuff, 79....yikes.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

I now have a confirmed report of a shad being caught on the American. Steve Sylvester posted a photo on social media of a small male that he caught in his pram. Let the games begin!

Here we go! I was out breaking in a new motor on my little aluminum boat (a Klamath as old as I am) on the Sacramento at Discovery Park, and the boats were lined up out after shad. The shad crowd is so much fun! Me and the kids will be out on the Lower American very soon.

Took the mini out down low and Steve Sylvester was out in his pram. There were some gear guys and a jet boat trying also. No shad were caught. I think the small males Steve caught over the weekend were the advance scouts. They are going to show up any day now!

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    Here we go! I was out breaking in a new motor on my little aluminum boat (a Klamath as old as I am) on the Sacramento at Discovery Park, and the boats were lined up out after shad. The shad crowd is so much fun! Me and the kids will be out on the Lower American very soon.
    What size is your Klamath boat and what new motor?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Bill, I have a 14 foot 1974 Klamath Trailorboat and the new motor is a 4-stroke 20 horse Suzuki. I'm about 2 1/2 hours into breaking it in, and it is just smooth as silk! Having such an expense hanging off my boat led me to also fix up the boat somewhat, as well as the horrible trailer -- it's now got 12 inch wheels instead of 8 and a new trailer tongue.

That is a very good boat, motor, and trailer, now that you worked on it.

Adding a new 4-stroke outboard on an older hull is the way to go.

My uncle had a 12' Klamath Trailorboat with an Evinrude 9.9hp 2 stroke on it many years ago.

Then my dad bought a 13'2" Gregor all-welded boat, with a 20hp and 4hp Evinrude 2 strokes, on a good trailer.

Today I like Yamaha, Suzuki, and Honda 4-stroke outboards.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

They are all very nice motors, even Tohatsu gets good ratings nowadays. I picked the Suzuki because it was the lightest I could find with an electronic fuel injection (no battery needed!). It is so quiet and clean. I also got a very good deal on it new. But I also have to admit that I have very fond memories of a 1986 Suzuki Samurai I drove around in the late 90's, and having a Suzuki is a nice way to harken back a bit.