Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lake Berryessa 'Fly Only' Tournament April 27,2024

Default Berryessa Bug Toss 2024 Results!

Here is the update as promised! The tournament turned out excellent! John H was very generous and helped by taking pictures in the morning. He got some truly amazing shots. I'm not familiar with how to post large full size shots on here, unless I can post full size the shots will not be given justice. So maybe John can showcase some of his beautiful work!? A few of your favorite shots John??

I am also still waiting on pics of the weigh ins and award ceremony from my friends professional camera. I will be sure to post those up soon to come!

All this being said it was all a big success I feel. Allot of people have told me they felt things went smoothly. Pretty chaotic day for myself so that was all good stuff to hear. But what a cool crowd of people we had! It must have been 60-70 people for the award ceremony.

The fishing was tough for some. Great for others. Real good for most. The winning bag was caught by Roger Bloom & Jon Nelson weighing in at 17.07lbs! Roger also won the Galvan Big Fish Award with a 4.16lb largemouth. Took just about 14lbs to make 5'th place! Seriously impressive stats for a fly tournament. 66% of participants acquired a 10lb bag. That's 18/27 boats!

It took 14lbs to get into the cash money. However it took 12.91lbs to win gear.

Fun stuff!! Much more to come soon!!

Most people were doing the float n fly. My black leech seemed to be the most popular fly. I know Corey and Andrew in 2'nd place were using the float n fly, but for the rest of the 14lb+ bags I have my suspicions they were doing something a bit different! Lol. I didn't even ask.

Got a whole list of things I can do to improve things drastically. But I've heard nothing but positive feedback so far!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 12.40.36 PM.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	19911  
    Ryan Williams

Nor Cal Fly Fishing Guide

https://flyfishcnv.com/

This event went as good or better than any events I've fished over the years. Very organized and friendly. Looking forward to the next one and I'm sure you'll have even more teams than this one. If I could make one suggestion, perhaps next time you find a way to spread out the goodies a little more. The payout was great but some of those prizes could be spread around with a simple raffle during the awards ceremony. Maybe some love for the first out of the money and even smallest bag. This would give more folks a chance of going home with something. Might want to bring a bump tank also.
    Hope I'm not coming off critical. It was an awesome event. Thanks again to you and all the folks who helped you.

Thanks Ryan for having a wonderful fly fishing event and so close to Sacramento and the Bay area.

I am sure JohnH will get some great photos up here.

I have known Roger Bloom since he was a teenager and he has become a top fly fisher.

With his career with the CDFW, now retired? he is a wealth of knowledge.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thank you Bill! Roger is 100% on my radar now after seeing his results! Very cool you and him go back so far. He helped by giving me little head ups about different things for running my first tourney. As far as I know yes, he is retired from CDFW.

Mike glad you made it out! All great stuff to hear. Thank you so much! Good advice on spreading the prizes out. This is something I can do for sure. I had factored in having 15-20 boats maybe so that's how I crunched all the numbers for dividing up the prizes. Then in the last 10 days before the tourney we had a whole bunch of sign ups and it became way bigger than I had imagined! I kind of forgot to take some time to relook my divying for winning teams.

I think that's a great idea to raffle allot of the donations off actually. Next year I will see what I can do about getting a swag bag to the first 20 boats to sign up or something as well. Got an idea floating around about a big bluegill prize too or something.

Not sure when it's gonna be but I'm gonna keep this running. Hopefully I will have another tournament going before a full year has passed. The goal now is to get more than 1 tourney going per year.
    Ryan Williams

Nor Cal Fly Fishing Guide

https://flyfishcnv.com/