Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planet Earth

Default Planet Earth

Planet Earth can be a pretty awesome place when it is not too beat up, trampled or crowded with dudes. It also is a little under appreciated in my opinion. If you ask most people what is great in this world they won't answer trees, birds, rivers, oceans, mountains, wildlife or the desert. More likely they will say something like luxury cars, Instagram or food trucks. All good things of course but the planet can get overlooked when listing the great things in the world. I got out in the last couple of weeks and got to see some pretty good stuff we have here on earth. A couple of steelhead were swung up along the way and are definately on the list of awesome things on the planet. If you are out there looking for a winter steelhead I hope you find one and I hope they are around and abundant forever.

Thanks to Joe if you are out there for setting me up with some good flies and the confidence to keep swinging them.

Last edited by John H; 02-26-2024 at 10:19 PM.

Wonderful John.

Fishing the Pacific coast in the wintertime is so unique and different. Your photos are so inspiring.

In the 1970s when there were more fish, I was taken over there by some of my old friends of the Great Generation.

After World War II these men got to fish on our North Coast in the 40s, 50s, and 60s with high numbers of Steelhead.

They took us young baby boomers over there and showed us what they had found and we were very fortunate.

Jack McLaughan, Sac City Fire Fighter and US Marine in World War II, told me that if I could go to the Coast in the winter and

hook a 10# fresh female Steelhead, close to the ocean, I would be changed forever. He was right.

Today these special Winter-run Steelhead still exist and are sometimes hooked by people who are adventurists.

To increase your odds and learn about this winter fishing you could hire a special fly fishing guide who still goes over

there to help others get that special feeling when they hook a large wild winter Steelhead on a fly.

Jason Hartwick (707-382-1655) and Geno Bernero (916-952-0467) are two of those guides.

I would text them because they are probably out on a river in the daytime.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Hey, you got your shot of a varied thrush. Nice when a plan comes together. Very good shot of the Stellar's jay too.

Caught this little Anna's hummingbird this morning in the lilac tree. Hard to believe these guys winter over here. There can't be much for them to eat. We put a feeder out but if that wasn't there I don't know...I guess there are enough tiny gnats and things to keep them going.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	annas in lilac feb 2024.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	617.0 KB 
ID:	19764
    Last edited by DLJeff; 02-27-2024 at 05:00 PM.

I did get the thrush. It took some effort. They were around but were always spooked and moving away so I was surprised to get a decent shot. That one hung around just long enough and the light was pretty good. I really like that Jay picture. A common but handsome bird. He was hanging around a neighbor’s feeder. My neighborhood is good bird habitat. That is where I got the thrush. I have a hummingbird feeder out also but nobody is on it. I did see one on a flowering bush yesterday.
    Last edited by John H; 02-27-2024 at 11:00 PM.

We might have had this discussion but what lens are you using for your bird pics? I typically use a Canon L series 100-400 zoom. I have tried to bring a tripod but find it rarely works so the stabilization function is critical for handheld long shots.

And then are you cropping and cleaning up your shots in Photoshop or something? I use the free version of Photoshop but try not to do much other than crop and sharpen a little sometimes.

A few weeks ago at the Sebastian Inlet on the mid-Atlantic coast of Florida, I ran into an interesting guy who was teaching bird

photography. I think he is fairly famous because he had 12 students who were all from foreign countries who came here just to take

courses from him. I think they all had Sony DSLRs with big Sony lenses. That day they were shooting Ospreys doing their thing.

Then an old professional bird photographer showed up, alone. I chatted with him and asked him about his equipment. He had all

Sony equipment and a huge Sony 600 mm f4 lens that he said was about $12,000.00 I think the Sony DSLR bodies are $6,000.00

He told me he had recently retired after 40 years and sold all his bird photos for a large number of dollars that I have now forgotten.

He was probably famous but I forgot to get his name.

At 78 my short-term and long-term memory is getting bad.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

I have a Nikon 500 mm. It is not the best bird lens but it is pretty good and lightweight for a big lens. I use photoshop elements which is a one time $100 purchase. It has plenty of tools for me. I mostly pull up the shadows and turn down the highlights and crop. I do some other stuff if it is needed. I do most of the editing in raw.

I usually have to crop way in to get the bird to a good size. I try to stay above 300 dpi after the crop. The birds are so small you rarely get close enough to avoid having to crop.

I find if I get a really good picture very little editing and cropping are needed. The not so good shots need a little help to make them decent. I don’t use a tripod. I usually just walk around a lot with my camera and hope I run into a good shot. They usually fly away which can be frustrating but sometimes you get a break. The trick seems to be have good light, get close, get them at eye level and hope for a good pose. I have thought about getting a 1.4x teleextender which would give me a 700 mm lens.

Captain Andy Guibord is a pretty good photographer too due to his love of the outdoors and education in Art at Sac State, some years ago.

https://andyguibord.wordpress.com/the-valley-fisheries/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Some of you might remember Alan Barnard who worked as the manager for us and added a lot of class to Kiene's.

Alan is one of those rare people who can do anything he chooses at a very high level of excellence.

He has mastered many different facets of life like fly fishing, fly tying, graphic arts, web design, music, and photography.

http://www.alancraigbarnard.com/

The front page of his website has a slide show of some of his works.

Alan also did the pen & ink of our Mayfly logo on the top of our front page here.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Thanks for describing your gear John. We're doing similar things. I completely agree that light is one of the most important factors to getting a decent photo, especially with a long lens with f5.6 as the largest opening.

Do you see better editing quality / effects doing it in raw versus jpeg? Raw photos are such large files. I've taken photos in both formats but I've filled cards completely and it takes forever to open and edit them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	male perched looking back 2020.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	19776
    Last edited by DLJeff; 02-29-2024 at 08:31 AM.