Thread: Reply

Default Reply

What happened to the reply from Dan Carter about fishing with crease flies for dorado and sailfish in Loreto. Hi Dan long time no see, how’re you doing? Miss the saltwater fishing, getting to be an old fart.
    Leo Gutterres

Hi Leo,

I might be able to answer some of those questions.

Carl

Default Hi Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Blackledge View Post
    Hi Leo,

I might be able to answer some of those questions.

Carl
    Hi Carl, long time no see, IÂ’d love to go back to Loreto but IÂ’m getting to be an old fart and donÂ’t know if I can make the trip. What airport do you fly out. Does Sacramento have a connection to get to Loreto? If I remember correctly I used to fly to LAX and then to Loreto. If I can find some one to accompany me I might be able to make it. What are the open dates for a week and what would it cost? Can you message me at Lgutterres@aol.com and give me your phone number and IÂ’ll give you a call.
    Leo Gutterres

Hi again Leo.

Leo my number is 707-481-9000, we now stay at a brand new hotel (the Baja triangle) this brand new place is right across the street from the harbor....You have a choice as to what airline that flies directly into Loreto..American or Alaska. I just might have a guy that wants to go....we have open dates from the end of June thru the end of July. I will be there for the whole time. We still have top guides available....Leo when you were there last we had only a few Roosters, well now we have millions of them all sizes, the best flies are the special Airheads I make called the plain Jane. Call me anytime evenings are fine.

I forgot about the costs--figure the guide will cost you $150.00 per day and the room will be around $50.00 per day plus your food and a $25.00 fishing license, you will want to tip the guide $20.00 per day

carlblackiedge@aol.com

Hey Leo, it’s me (Dan Carver). Not sure what happened to my post. I was recalling our trip with Atwin back in 2009. The dorado were scarce, so we were dragging fly’s looking for a Judas fish. I was sitting up on the bow looking down into the water when some sailfish went streaming past. I yelled ‘ALTO ALTO, Pez Vela!’; the pangero killed the motor and threw a handful of bait. Suddenly there were sailfish all around slashing bait like a school of dorado, and you got a nice one!

There were lots of big Rooster’s around the following year, but most of the pangero’s were not familiar with how to fish for them. I got a nice 50 pound? Fish on conventional gear fishing with Atwin King, and Barry Williams caught one much bigger than that.

I was talking with Leo Gutterres and told him that lots of his friends are still on this old message board and he needed to be on here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leo.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	19762

Most of our parents and the old fly-fishing guys of the Great Generation are gone so now we are the old farts.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Geezer.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	19763

The Sacramento "Geezer Patrol", was named by Al Perryman.

L to R:

Henry Starr - Morgan Equipment, lent me money to start my fly shop.

Joe Patterson - CA DF&G, Ithaca Rep, Cortland Line Rep.

Joe Shirshac - Sacramento City Fire Fighter.

Me - Sports Unlimited, West Capitol Rod & Gun, Tower of Sports, the Fly Hutch, Fly Fishing Unlimited, Kiene's Fly Shop.

Chuck Campana - CA Dept of Boats and Waterways.

George Martin - Union Glazer - built all the displays in my shops.

Walt Bennett - Master Baker - Fly Casting Instructor for Fenwick and Sage.

I met all these good men when I was about 20 and they were about 40. They lived through the Great Depression and were involved in

World War II in one way or another. They treated all of us younger guys like they were our Uncles.

Most of them are in the movie, Rivers of a Lost Coast. These are the men who started California Fly Fishermen Unlimited.

They are all gone now but had wonderful lives in Sacramento, California.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........