Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OPST 'Commando Smooth' 225gr, what weight SH rod?

Default OPST 'Commando Smooth' 225gr, what weight SH rod?

I have 5wt, and 6wt, 9 footers, and an 11ft 3wt fleabay "nymph" rod. I haven't found the micro tips yet locally.
    Which rod should be the first guinea pig?
    I bought the line with a nice coopin I was offered as a sorry for screwing up a in-stock ship to store order. Didn't expect a 20$ coopin.

Fly Fishing Specialties on Hwy 80 going through Sacramento has lots of Spey "stuff" and most of them fish with two-handed fly rods.

Call or email them your questions too.

Maybe try it on your 9' #6 wt?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Fly Fishing Specialties on Hwy 80 going through Sacramento has lots of Spey "stuff" and most of them fish with two-handed fly rods.

Call or email them your questions too.

Maybe try it on your 9' #6 wt?
    I emailed them cuz they're always at the fly show, just to make sure he's bringing micro float tips, and sink tips.
    No response yet

On the OPST website, it says 225 grain will work on a 5 and a 6 weight.
    I believe the chart has the size tips also that is recommended for your rods.

I use that line and that weight on a 10' 7wt rod single hand rod. It casts very nicely with the 12' OPST tips at 96 grains ( T-8 )
    I also used it on a 11'2" 3wt trout spey rod before I sold the rod to a friend. Personally I felt it cast better on the 10' 7wt rod.

OPST recommends the 225 grain Commando head for a 9' 6wt with 8' dual density tips in T6. But I would recommend starting to use it with their recommendation for a floating tip 7.5' 40 grains. The OPST website has lots of info on how to set up a single hand rod, you should look through it.
    Last edited by tcorfey; 02-20-2024 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tcorfey View Post
    I use that line and that weight on a 10' 7wt rod single hand rod. It casts very nicely with the 12' OPST tips at 96 grains ( T-8 )
    I also used it on a 11'2" 3wt trout spey rod before I sold the rod to a friend. Personally I felt it cast better on the 10' 7wt rod.

OPST recommends the 225 grain Commando head for a 9' 6wt with 8' dual density tips in T6. But I would recommend starting to use it with their recommendation for a floating tip 7.5' 40 grains. The OPST website has lots of info on how to set up a single hand rod, you should look through it.
    Yeah it takes a while to go thru the charts. Commando Smooth is the fully integrated line I have, and micro tips float/ sink is supp. To be the right deals to match.

Not to steal the thread, but.....
    I have a 4wt Echo Shadow II (10'6") euro rod. I just picked up the "competition kit" which can give me an additional 12". I was wondering if anyone had tried using it as a trout spey rod? Or how it would do as a cross over for something. I tried the euro style, its cool but just thinking about other potential options for this rod. i might make up a handle/butt extension for casting two handed over head.
    Any thoughts on lines and or grains to put on this thing?

Default ESN to Trout Spey

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post
    Not to steal the thread, but.....
    I have a 4wt Echo Shadow II (10'6") euro rod. I just picked up the "competition kit" which can give me an additional 12". I was wondering if anyone had tried using it as a trout spey rod? Or how it would do as a cross over for something. I tried the euro style, its cool but just thinking about other potential options for this rod. i might make up a handle/butt extension for casting two handed over head.
    Any thoughts on lines and or grains to put on this thing?
    I've had success in using a euro rod for single hand spey. Spool it with mono running line, which also serves as your euro line. Add a euro leader and you're good to go. Take off the euro leader and add a commando head and tip and you're good to go. Maybe not the ideal set up for either, but I can carry one rod, nymph up through a run and then swing back down through the same water

A good video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKhkxU7ldaY
    Last edited by Woodman; 02-22-2024 at 09:45 AM. Reason: add liink

Thanks!
    I'll see if I can get some information and a tip at the show this Friday.
    J. Ice

I'll be there Fri. Naybe versa leaders and a commando smooth. I looked thru my gear and can find any versa leaders. I find it weird that I didn't buy any just to hoard fly equip!