Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The K - Not Its Best Day

The state of Maine has had some notable successes with dam removals on rivers
    such as the Kennebec and Penobscot. Granted, comparing California/Oregon to
    Maine is sorta apples and oranges; still, there is hope.
    Best to all,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Quote Originally Posted by mogaru View Post
    In this case, how do we know that something went very wrong? Easy, the media is not doing their job which is informing all of us of this catastrophe. I would like to be positive but at the same time I have to be realistic and something tells me that 100 years of muck, won't be swept in a few months, specially in a warm and dry state. I encourage everybody to get informed on this issue. There is another thread open under the conservation tab, which touches the impact on local residents water wells and wildlife.
    There's tons of articles about the removal and some of the negative impacts that are being seen. Just because there are a few crazies who peddle misinformation about the removal doesn't mean the media is complicit in some cover up.

There was never any doubt that the first few months were going to be catastrophic for fish and wildlife in the immediate reaches around the lakes. Its well described in the EIS and is something that is being observed now. Hundreds of thousands if not millions of fish have perished (almost entirely invasive perch and sunfish) that previously lived in the lakes. There was an area below Iron Gate where the dissolved oxygen went to 0 and probably killed all the salmon eggs in that section. Keep in mind that the water conditions that the dams created kill millions of juvenile salmonids annually. The disease conditions affect fish not only in the Klamath but also fish from the tributaries like the Scott, Salmon, Shasta, and Trinity. Dam removal should significantly reduce the water quality and disease issues in the Klamath which are probably the biggest limiting factor for fish production.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Issac Asimov

Fishtopher -

Thanks for your comments. It is nice to hear from someone who is well informed. In five years I will swing up a nice fall steelhead in clear, cold water and there will be no doubt the dam removal was a great benefit. In the meantime, I will fish for bass and stripers.

I’ve seen the Klamath almost everyday this season starting in late November. From the slides that resulted from the McKinney fire it was muddy with even a slight rain. Was here when the opened the doors on the dams. I’m optimistic but cautious. It’s been flowing pretty heavy with all the rain lately, the level recently dropped. The amount of silt and muck built up in every slow spot and corner is astonishing. It will take a significant amount of rain to clear this out.

I fished the Klamath in the 1960s and on with local legend Joe Shirshac when the campgrounds were full of old folks in travel trailers

who spent a month to three months up there. The Half-pound runs and some medium size fish were plentiful.

In the 1950s when Joe first fly fished the Klamath he said the fish were larger, around 6 pounds on average.

Back in the 1960s we were first fishing with 9' #9 line 2-piece fiberglass Fenwick fly rods, large Pflueger Medalist or Hardy fly feels,

Dacron backing, 100' of mono shooting line, and 30' factory shooting head in type 2 and type 3 sink rates.

We used mostly size 6 Silver Hilton and Brindle Bug wet flies. Not much variety back then.

We used seamless rubber Seal-Dri stocking foot waders with canvas felt sole wading shoes.

Joe liked to fish from Johnson's Bar up to Happy Camp, depending on where the fish were.

We usually ate dinner at the Orleans Hotel where we met other anglers and exchanged our day's fishing reports.

Joe knew all the places to park at the trail heads to hike down into the canyons where the good riffles were.

We never ate breakfast because Joe liked to be on the runs as we could just barely see so we drove with headlights on

and hiked down into the runs with flashlights. A 10-pound Steelhead in the Fall was extremely rare and might not be landed by most.

Adult fish were 4 to 8 pounds and were extremely violent fish. We rarely saw any drift boats on the water in the 1960s.

One morning at Ice Cream riffle we landed a dozen fish that were all 22 1/2 inches and screamers. Close to 4 pounds we guessed.

Back then I thought that when I retired I would have a trail trailer up on the Klamath River in September, October, and part of

November, but sadly, it never happened.

At 79 and living in Florida it is most likely I will not be doing any of my favorite fly fishing, Fall Steelheading, but am excited to see

dam removals, Worldwide, and the prospects of wild Steelhead and salmon running freely up cold, clear rivers.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........