Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Powell Buzz Hackle fly

Default The Powell Buzz Hackle fly

I had a nice chat with our forum host Bill today. He called me trying to remember the name of the Powell’s fly with hackle at both ends. It’s the Buzz Hackle. Here it is as tied and labeled by Walton Powell…

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1691.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	376.1 KB 
ID:	19718
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

Thanks Rich,

Many from Northern California asked for the Buzz Hackle dry fly so we had some tied up locally.

We always kept them in stock for these old-timers who loved them.

Here is a good article all about the Buzz Hackle by "Fly Fishing the Sierra":

https://flyfishingthesierra.com/buzzhackle.htm

"Fly Fishing the Sierra" is a wonderful website that you should know about.

About 40 years ago an old timer came into my shop to buy some size #10 Renegade dry flies.

I had to order some for him because my largest was a #12.

He said he used them for Half-pounders in the Lower American River.

After that, I used them on the Lower American and the Klamath River.

Here is an excellent tying video by the famous Charlie Craven of the Renegade:

https://www.google.com/search?q=rene...--7oY8yYM,st:0

Charlie Craven is one of the top fly tiers of our time and has made a huge contribution to our sport.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Many years ago, I talked with Walton Powell at the ISE Fly Fishing show which was held at the San Mateo county fairgrounds. I was looking at one of his bamboo rods which came with two tips. At that time, I was tying flies for the shop. He said " do you like that rod"
    of course I said "Hell ya". Well I got a deal for you...OK, what's your deal....I want you to tie me up a 100 dozen Buzz hackle flies and I will give you the rod. Now these flies are not for the shop. So we agreed and right then he gave me the rod and said it's yours. I still have that rod today and have NEVER used it. As a matter of fact, it's only been out of the rod tube maybe a dozen times.
    That's my story and I sticking too it.
    Jay Murakoshi

Cool story Jay.

Maybe 40 years ago Walton Powell and his lovely wife came to my fly shop to see if I was qualified to be a Powell fly rod dealer.

I guess I passed the test because I got to be a Powell dealer.

The Powell rods were made on the same blanks as G. Loomis back then. The "IM6/Graphite III" fly rods were highly prized.

Chuck Campana bought a new G.Loomis 9'6" #7 line in 2 piece and could cast a Cortland 444 SL WF7F all of its 105'.

Chuck showed me that the G.Loomis rods had a larger tip top and the first 4 snake guides were larger so they cast further than Powell's.

In the 1980s we carried almost all the fly rod manufacturers: Sage, G. Loomis, Powell, T&T, Orvis, Winston, Scott, Cortland and Fisher.

Back then there was a new fly shop opening and new guides almost every month.

Back about 30 years ago there were about 60 Sage dealers in California. Now there are about 12 ?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Another story....Most of you might remember Buz Buszek owner of Bus's fly shop in Visalia. Back then I lived in Monterey and would drive all the way to his shop for materials. His shop was a small garage but well stocked. It was then I put my hands on some of the first Henry Hoffman's #1 grizzly super saddles. Buz and I made a deal in trade for a Hoffman Neck and a super saddle in return, I had to tie up 50 dozen King's River Caddis patterns.
    Now 51 years later, I still think about the good old days
    Jay Murakoshi

Amazing Jay

I don't think there are too many left in this fly fishing world who have seen what we have in our lifetimes.

Years ago we used to drive down to Buz's place and buy materials.

By then Buz was gone and his wife Virginia ran the shop.

Here is some history of Buz's Fly Shop from the website 'RiverKeeper Flies'.

https://www.johnkreft.com/history-of...ing-1947-1997/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Many flies have come and gone over the last 50 years or more.

About 40 years ago the King's River had a tremendous Rainbow trout fishery in the lower section.

They had huge caddis hatches so the "King's River Caddis" dry fly was developed.

Factory Rep, duck hunter, and veteran fly fisher, Ed Schroder, was involved in all this great fly fishing.

After some time that fishery sadly went away, for the most part.

Before Al Troth developed the Elk Hair Caddis dry fly we used a similar caddis imitation called the "Buck Caddis" dry fly.

Many years ago on the

About 40 years ago the top dry flies were the Royal Wulff, the Trude down wing style, Humpy or Goofus Bug, the classic Adams, the

classic Light Cahill, the Irresistible, the quill-bodied dries like the Red Quill, Blue Quill, then the Black Ant, Joe's Hopper, and more.

The parachute or paradun style dry fly was not developed yet.

Let us know if you had any favorite dries 40 years ago.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Default Old Dry Fly Patterns

The first dry fly that I ever tied/fished was for a Labor Day trip, during the early 70's, to the north fork of the Yuba River. I was invited by a friend and it was the first time I had ever been Trout fishing with dries. The fly was the Rio Grand King Bucktail, size 10. We camped near Goodyear Bar and I had never caught that many Trout (of that size) before.

With the exception of the coastal rivers/streams, that fly pattern produced wherever I used it.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Great thread. One of the interesting "new?" concepts in flies is the tenkara
    reverse hackle fly. I'm not a tenkara guy but I've used them on Fishigan's trout
    streams with moderate success. So good to see many of the forum folks
    posting.
    Best to all,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

As of lately, the LKR has been fishing pretty good. Most are all planters from the hatchery but fun to catch. The hot spot right now is behind Avocado Lake in the C&R section. I guy I work with fished it on Super Bowl Sunday and ended up with 32 fish. 3 doulbles. He was using a BWO size 14 with a 14 red copper John. I got him started just a couple months ago and I think he's hooked. I usually start around the Pine Flat dam and work my way down to the C&R section. I'm using a dry dropper set up. No bobber fishing for me.
    I have attached a photo of what I think is the Kings river caddis. It hatches around 1:00pm on warm days
    Speaking of Ed Schroder. He lives right around the corner from me and I usually talk with him everyday or the days I'm not working. He walks his black lab "willie" every day. He quit duck hunting because it got too expensive. He still goes to Montana for 4 months and fishes every day. I take him out to lunch at least a couple times a month and we talk about the old days. He talks about the days he was the Orvis rep and how well the old man treated him. Also in the discussions are old timers like Randall Kaufmann, Dennis Black, Hal Janssen. Hal is still around but many others who are now gone. It's great feeling to talk with guys from our era. One thing he does hate the word "bobbers" and trolling a fly. I agree but to each his own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6599.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	19723  
    Last edited by RoosterHunter; 02-13-2024 at 10:02 PM. Reason: added photo
    Jay Murakoshi